cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Fibre cable kink (FFTP)

Go to solution

Hello,

I recently had FFTP (fibre 900) installed. The cable was run around a door frame and I wasn't getting the speeds I expected (430mbps). When I checked the cable around the door I noticed it was kinked on each corner of the frame. Should I be worried about this/does this effect my speed?

Many thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre cable kink (FFTP)

Go to solution

I doubt very much if there is an actual kink in the fibre as it is only the width of a human hair.

As to your spedds see the other FTTP threads on the forum where most questions are answered.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

It is certainly possible to kink a fibre if the bend radius is too tight, particularly if it is bent at 90deg against a hard edge. It shouldn't be any tighter than a £2 coin.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, it's definitely at 90° I have unclipped it from the corner and there is a "kink" visible. The speed has improved to around 520mbps once it was straightened. Do you think a replacement cable is required or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks for your help 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

The EZ Bend Fibre Cable Openreach use consists of a 5mm Micron Core Coating, then a layer of the yarn stuff they make bullet proof vests with, followed by another 2mm layer of Micro Core, then the Fibre, which itself has a wax coating. That’s excluding the layer of sheathing and yarn that’s stripped off and is used outside.

The 5mm Micron Core Layer, especially on the 160m Cable Drum can look likes its kinked when it’s not because it doesn’t have much elasticity and tends to hold its shape if stretched/bent.

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Once the cable has been released from the sharp bend the fibre itself will  be fine. Any visible kink will be purely in the cladding as @Starwire says. 

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Brilliant, thank you for your time and help!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

But if you're only getting 520mbps on a wired connection, then I'd look into that. It may not be your cable, but you're not getting what you paid for.

If that's on a wireless connection, then it's to be expected.

0 Ratings