cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Fibre cable runs right outside, but...

Go to solution

Hi,

I live in a rural area and FTTP is not available. However a local business has paid for what must be a leased line and there is a fibre cable running from the green box a couple of miles away right past our house to their premises about 100m further along the road. The telegraph pole in my front garden even has a sign on it saying "Caution overhead fibre" along with a reference number.

So I have fibre running literally a few feet from my house - how can I take advantage of this?

Any suggestions on who to speak to, what service to ask for and how to make sure they understand there's fibre already outside even if the service checker says "no" would be very much appreciated..

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre cable runs right outside, but...

Go to solution

@andy2000 

Welcome to this user forum for BT customers.

That would be a private leased point-to-point line, probably SHDS (Short Haul Data Service), and would not be accessible by anyone else.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Said Company would’ve literally paid 10’s of thousands of pounds for the Leased Line and will be paying Rental/Maintenance of hundreds, possibly even £1000+ a month.

It doesn’t work in the same way WBC FTTP works, it won’t even go through a Splitter so therefore you couldn’t and wouldn’t be able to piggy back off it.

Contrary to popular belief amongst those who don’t know how Fibre works you can’t just simply ‘Splice’ into any fibre at any point in any Network you like.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Starwire 

Contrary to popular belief amongst those who don’t know how Fibre works you can’t just simply ‘Splice’ into any fibre at any point in any Network you like.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seen that suggested so many times now.

FTTP is a complex network for sure.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - looks like my frustration will continue for a few more years then! 😢

0 Ratings