cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markob53
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Fibre checker says i can get less than when i originaly signed up

When i do a check online for BT availability in my area it says i can get speeds between 42 - 50 Mbps and i currently top out at around 46Mbps (wired), however, when i first moved into the house around 3 years ago i was topping out at around 60Mbps which was also inline with what BT said i could get at the time. 

I've actually been trying to figure out for at least a year why my speeds haven't been hitting 60Mbps (this was when BT reported i could get that speed in my area) and figured it was down to the changes i made to the hardware i am using in my house, and it's only since trying again to get down to the bottom of the problem have i noticed that BT isn't even saying i can get 60Mbps anymore, making me wonder if there's even a problem to fix at my end and instead leading me to believe BT is at fault for reducing the speed in my area.

Is this something they could have done and if so why? Why would it say the available speed in my area is less compared to 2-3 years ago?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Fibre checker says i can get less than when i originaly signed up

can you post stats from hub  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

run dslchecker and post results  leave exchange and cab number

the common cause of speed dropping over time is crosstalk caused by more customers on your cabinet from the time you initially got fibre connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
markob53
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately i cannot post stats as i am using a BT openreach modem/Asus RT-AC88U combo and it was upon switching to this hardware that i noticed the speed drop, but my concern now is more that BT is saying i can no longer get the speeds in my area compared to 2-3 years ago, so it doesn't even appear that there is a problem because technically i am getting good speeds and what they're saying is that it's impossible to get 60Mbps, which wasn't the case in the past.

Could enough people have joined the cabinet to warrant a speed loss that drastic? and wouldn't it cause a lot of customers to be unhappy if they signed up when it said you could get 'x' speed only for it to then say that you can no longer get that speed?

I get that there's a minimum guaranteed speed but i didn't think reducing the maximum possible speed available in your area was a thing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

can you post your dslchecker results leaving exchange and cab    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

pity you can't post any stats as that would help  if only happened when you changed from hub have you tried using hub again to see if speed returns?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

@markob53 wrote:

Could enough people have joined the cabinet to warrant a speed loss that drastic? and wouldn't it cause a lot of customers to be unhappy if they signed up when it said you could get 'x' speed only for it to then say that you can no longer get that speed?

Yes, quite easily, a single crosstalker can cause a large drop in speed if their pair in the cable is physically  in the right proximity to yours. A technology called vectoring has been trialled to mitigate the effects of crosstalk, but it hasn't been rolled out universally.

I get that there's a minimum guaranteed speed but i didn't think reducing the maximum possible speed available in your area was a thing.

The speed is not being reduced deliberately, the laws of physics are doing it.

0 Ratings
Iangla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Are you on a fibre 2 promotion?  The speeds you have mentioned seem like you have selected a package which is capped at 50mb.  The speeds quoted on the  website are estimated speeds, so you may still get higher than is estimated on the line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

There are no packages capped at 50M, the caps are 55M and 80, the OP is also quoting his actual speeds not projected speeds.

0 Ratings
Iangla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

He said that on the website he checked the speeds. The way the speeds are quoted on the website these days has changed, and will no longer show a 55mb speed, it will show as speeds estimated 49-50 etc. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

I think website checked was dslchecker especially when quoting a  range 42/50mb connection speed  dslchecker only shows line capability with max 80mb  package makes no difference

package connections speed for FTTC are 55/80mb

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

@Iangla  Read the original post carefully, the OP's speed has dropped since day one. The checker indicated speed has also dropped, as it does because it is dynamic and responds to changes in conditions. The DSL checker has never shown package speeds, it always shows estimated received speeds.

0 Ratings