cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Fibre hub

Go to solution

I’ve just moved into a new build and my fibre hub is located in the boiler cupboard in the bedroom, drama being is that there is no way that I can have the router in any other part of the house,  having the router in the boiler cupboard means it gets warm and the only fix so far is to place the router on the floor, outside of the boiler cupboard and now I can’t shut the door.  All options result in poor quality WiFi and in all my other houses my router was in the living room where I use it most and WiFi as excellent, question being is this normal for a new build? And what are my best options to have the router where it should be... the living room.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Fibre hub

Go to solution

I assume you have FTTP and the ONT is also in the cupboard with the hub. You either need to run an Ethernet cable from the cupboard to wherever you want the hub or use Powerline adaptors to connect ONT to hub

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Yes, I have FTTP and I presume the ONT is the cream box on the wall with cables inserted. At the moment I have the red cable plugged into the ONT trailing out of the cupboard with the router sat on the carpet. Are you saying that at additional cost  so I can actually close the boiler cupboard door without jamming the cable I have to go out and buy power line adaptors? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

If I do that then the router would stay in the cupboard behind closed door, would the heat effect the router over time?  TBH it’s a pretty poor setup by BT open reach. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Surely it was your developer's decision where to place the FTTP ONT not OpenReach?

Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

It is sited wherever the developer or the previous occupant wanted it sited. Are you sure there isn't an Ethernet patch panel in the cupboard with connections to various rooms?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

No Ethernet ports anywhere, only additional ports are the normal phone line ports 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

You need to ask the developer why he didn't provide Ethernet structured cabling throughout the property as is recommended.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks, yes I think I will do that and introduce him to my size 9’s, Thank you for your help. 

0 Ratings