cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Fibre in property but connected to copper exchange

Go to solution

Thanks, wanted to get confirmation that what the developer has said is not possible before taking it to our solicitors.

Yes tried that link and it confirms the speeds. It is not an FTTP Priority Exchange??

Results are in the screenshot, in fact, I've just noticed that it says FTTP is not available, so does that mean there was never any chance of this being FTTP no matter what the developer asked to get isntalled?bt.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

You have missed out the cabinet number and exchange name, as without that information, its difficult to tell, as you could just be on an EO cable (Exchange Only).

Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Ah Sorry, WARE exchange, cabinet 28.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

@askingcup wrote:

Ah Sorry, WARE exchange, cabinet 28.

Not good. Can you manage with 15Mbs? It usually fine for most people, provided that you do not want to upload a lot of data, as that is likely to be on 1Mb maximum on ADSL2+.

Cabinet P28   Openreach fibre not available            SG12 7AB 
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution
Can't manage with that I'm afraid. My job involves building laptops that downloads about 10-15GB at a time per laptop. My wife is a freelance creative and regularly needs to upload anything from 1 -20GB of files.

We used to have 17Mb down and 3Mb up. My laptop builds took about 4.5 hours, her uploads took overnight. We upgraded to FTTP in our current house (150Mb down 30Mb up), my laptop builds now take 40 mins and her uploads take about half an hour.

We just won't be able to work with 15Mb (max) down and 1Mb up.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

@askingcup 

It looks like you will need to find somewhere else. That site I linked to, may give you some idea of which area to look at. Sorry, but  I cannot see that this forum is going to be able offer any more advice.

Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
Not a problem at all. You've conformed my initial thoughts. Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

If you do find somewhere else, and need advice about BT Broadband availability, then please return to this forum. You need to be able to see something that shows FTTP available, but not  FTTPod (On demand) as that is an expensive business product.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Sounds like your Developer/Builder is trying to lay the blame elsewhere.

Openreaches preferred method is to now only provide FTTP and no Metallic Path at all.

Thing is the Back Haul FTTP Network is a lot more complex than ‘Copper’ and requires a lot more Planning and Build Work so they require substantial notice from Developers/Builders when a site is planned. 

If Openreach had agreed with the Developer/Builder to install FTTP then Openreach would’ve provided them with the necessary ONT’s, Fibre EZ Bend Cable and MDU DP to install during Build Process, were they present when you first viewed the property?

As it’s an MDU you may struggle to get FTTP in the future as MDU’s are a logistical, financial and political nightmare. That’s why they’re not included in the Rural Build, Fibre Cities or Retro Fit Projects and are dealt with by a completely separate division of Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

I'm just wondering if this is an Openreach problem or an Alt Net?

Are there any manhole covers for another network in your street? Usually on the footpath, potentially with small black cable pots near your property boundary?

There is a small new build development near me which has FTTP from a small provider, households here have a similar problem to you and they have to put an order with the CSPs who support services via that AltNet 

0 Ratings