cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Fibre inconsistency in my area

Hey guys,

I work from home and, as such, require strong/decent wifi in order to work. In the last few weeks our Sky broadband has been atrocious, and we were told that BT was the provider to go with for fibre broadband. When I enquired online, I was given the following message by Openreach.

"I can see you are on a newbuild site and it looks like this have been done in phases, your part of the development looks like it was copper and the newer houses look to be full fibre, if the site developers are still on site it might be worth contacting them to see if they have plans to have the fibre installed to all the houses on their development. The developers choose what network they want installing there as it's their land."

My problem is that two of my neighbours, who live directly opposite me, have had BT fibre installed in recent weeks. I looked online to see the kind of broadband speed I could get with BT, and it's exactly the same as what I'm on now with Sky. Our housing developers have been terrible - we know that much - and the communication with Openreach has been poor. I just want to know who to get in touch with to find out definitively whether or not BT can provide us with better wifi, because I'm getting mixed messages.

Thanks,

Harry

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fibre inconsistency in my area

if your actual internet connection is ok and the problem is your wifi coverage in your home then moving ISP is not the solution but getting wifi extenders or powerline adapters could solve your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

The connection drops in and out too if that's what you mean, and we've been reassured by neighbours that both the wifi/connection is better upon switching to BT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Would that be the neighburs with FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I don't know what you mean by FTTP - does that mean their house isn't copper like mine?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I don't know I don't live there but you posted that some on the estate had full fibre. Changing provider won't change anything if you have a connection problem. As you are a Sky customer you should seek help via their community forum.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/bd-p/sky_broadband# 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

It's a two-fold problem, really. I don't know about the whole fibre thing because Openreach are so poor on how they communicate, I just want faster broadband that doesn't drop out every 20 minutes.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

As already posted you need to raise this with your ISP. there is no more contact with openreach from this forum that from posting on sky forum

as a sky customer there is nothing this forum can do to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thanks guys.

0 Ratings