cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Fibre install - connecting property to fibre network

Full fibre just became available in my area so I upgraded, the install is happening next week but I don't fully understand how my house is connected to the fibre network.

There are no overhead poles around my house, I assume it's all underground. Does this mean they will somehow have to run a cable to the other side of the estate to the exchange box? That seems like a huge job. I've seen videos on youtube of engineers digging trenches etc.

I'm on a new-ish build estate, built in 2011. Just trying to understand how it works in order to anticipate any problems.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Fibre install - connecting property to fibre network

There will be a distribution network of fibre cables underground which will culminate in a splitter that supplies the final length of fibre cable to your house. If full fibre is now available to you, the infrastructure will be in place and it will just be the last connection that will need to be made. Your property will have an existing duct to supply your copper cable, this will be utilised for the fibre cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

As already stated, FTTP doesn’t run from a cabinet, probably within less than 50-70 metres , maybe much less, will be a recently provided CBT, the person who installs your FTTP runs a new ‘fibre’ cable in the same duct as your existing copper cable from this CBT, to your house, and at the house end a second fibre cable is brought into the property and connected to the ONT, ( the two cables need to be spliced together)

Unless the duct has already been proved as serviceable ( a draw rope provided ) then chances are it’s a two stage install , after the first stage a small block ( CSP ) will appear on your house wall close to where the existing duct appears with the fibre cable from the CBT, then an appointment made for the second visit to fit the internal cable and ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Perfect, thanks for the fast response.
0 Ratings