Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Fibre install external appointment

Go to solution

Might sound like an obvious answer but looking for confirmation please. 

I have Openreach due to do the external dig and ducting work install fibre to my house ready for the internal installation appointment.  My wife was told they fit a 'port' to the external wall but the OR engineer couldn't say where along the wall the 'port' would be fitted by the team that does it.

Can anyone confirm that the external fitting doesn't involve drilling through the wall as we have a long radiator on the other side? 

Also, can wherever the 'port' is fitted have a cable run external to enter the house at a different point within reason to avoid entering behind the radiator? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre install external appointment

Go to solution
For FTTP, they will have to drill from the outside of your house in. It doesn’t have to come in where your current phone line does. You can choose where it goes. It then terminates in a white box (ONT) on the wall.
--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. The external install is unattended so they will work while I'm not there.

Good practice dictates you drill out of a house unless you know that there's nothing on the inner wall. Openreach have made it clear they will not be going into the wall where the existing phone point is they'd need to dig my drive up as it's not ducted.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I just need to whether the 1st visit which is the external installation involves drilling into my home or whether it's left until the 2nd visit internal installation visit. The 2nd visit I'm obviously required to be in attendance for. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
I was told then ordering FTTP there would be two appointments; one where I did not need to be in attendance and one that I did (that I was told the date of). Obviously, the one when I didn't know they were coming was a cause of concern.

In my case, the agent got it wrong. You can tell if your FTTP install is 1 Stage or 2 by going to: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/# and seeing if the FTTP, is listed with Stages. You can post the results here but remove the phone number.

Obviously, as they will not be able to enter the house, I doubt they will do any work actually drilling into your house, as they would not be able to patch up the other side. But cannot comment for sure.
--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I know it's a 2 stage install. I had a few issues as BT were insisting it was a 1 stage install until I got them to understand the work required. They were disagreeing with the Openreach system which was a 2 stage install. It is well documented on my other forum post.

Actually you could call it a 3 stage install as my wife had to sign the permission for OR l start the external work hopefully this week.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

No, the Step 1 Engineer(s) or Civils Team do not drill from the outside in.

The Installation Engineer will Drill from the inside out during the Installation.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Cheers, reassured.
0 Ratings