cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fibre not available, but has been in the property before

Go to solution

Hi

so I'm due to move flat in a few weeks. the previous tenants had fibre, but I'm being told it's un available.

It's not been changed in any way so I'm unsure why this is, as I assume once the cable is connected to a property it's there.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre not available, but has been in the property before

Go to solution

If it were a FTTC connection ( fibre to the cabinet ) then it could simply be there are currently no spare ports in the cabinet, as you probably won’t have a BT phone number you will need to use the address, but if this site shows ‘waiting list ‘ then that’s the issue.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

so the flat get's unplugged from the cabinet after each tenant moves out?

Because the previous tenant has only moved to the bottom floor but has stayed with the same provider.

It is saying waiting list but i would have thought as there was fibre there less than 2 weeks ago it would still be there?

I was told be someone that it can be put on to a different cabinet if one is full..

thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Don't know who told you that you could change cabinet but it was rubbish. You just have to keep checking until you see. Available on the checker then apply quickly

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If the checker states waiting list then it’s a case of waiting until a port becomes available

To address your point,  if an address with FTTC is ceased by the occupant , ( possibly because they are moving out ) the Openreach FTTC records for that port  will show it as available, ( no one goes to the cab and disconnects it ) so an ISP  with a customer waiting for a port to become spare can see the cab as ‘available’ , it’s when the new user of the FTTC port is connected , that the old line the service was on, is converted back to a regular line.
If Openreach left it connected and reserved to the ‘old’ address while it wasn’t in use , then others waiting for a port could be waiting a very long time , and while unused ports are tied up with ‘empty’ addresses , it may be many months , before someone moves and wants FTTC , or someone moves in but  doesn’t want to use OR FTTC, that’s why,  in part , when a FTTC service is ceased , the port shows as available immediately, it would be a poor use of resources if OR turned away  definite customers , while waiting for a possible order to turn a ceased service back on.

The fact is you are in a position where the cab has no spare ports, you need to keep checking , and if  ‘waiting list’ changes to ‘available’ get your order in quick.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Waytt182wrote:

so the flat get's unplugged from the cabinet after each tenant moves out?

Because the previous tenant has only moved to the bottom floor but has stayed with the same provider.

The previous tenant most likely opted for a HOME MOVE in which case his flat (now yours) would have been disconnected and his new flat downstairs connected so that he/she could retain their phone number and, therefore, the FTTC connection.

0 Ratings