Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
medwardesjones
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Fibre not available - explanation does not make sense

Go to solution

I am moving into a new-build flat above existing commercial premises.  As the flat is newly built, I do not believe that there is any existing phone-line in place.  The flat is fitted with phone sockets and the developer has said it should be connected to BT.

If I use the BT postcode availability checker, the line-speed offered is only 19.5mb.  This is also the result I get when trying to order broadband over the phone or online.

The flat itself does not show up in the list of properties when searching by postcode (and I cannot search by phone line as I do not believe there is one).

However, the commercial premises on the ground floor (at the same address) do show up and have 80mbps fibre broadband (on the BT and openreach websites).    The openreach states that the exchange is fibre enabled.  All adjacent properties also have fibre available.

I suspect that the issue is either that there is no phone line in place, or that I am not being offered fibre because the flat is not yet reflected in the relevant database.

All that said, I do not want to buy an overpriced and slow DSL product, getting locked into a long contract upgrades available to more expensive fibre products, when I can see no reason that fibre should not be available from the outset.

What is the right way to resolve this issue?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre not available - explanation does not make sense

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The database will not show the correct information until you have a working BT Retail phone line installed.

Using the postcode, is not accurate enough.

Once your phone line is working, and the database has been updated, you should be able to order higher speed broadband.

0 Ratings
medwardesjones
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your help, that makes sense.

Presumably if I order BT ADSL to get the process going, I will then end up paying the upgrade prices at https://www.products.bt.com/broadband/upgrade/ in order to get fibre, which is vastly more expensive than the prices available to new customers at https://www.products.bt.com/broadband/availability/.

Is there any way to avoid this?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Just order the phone line. When its working, check the database again using your new phone number.

Then you should be able to order as a new BT Broadband customer, and get the better offers.

That way you will avoid having to use the upgrade path.

The phone line always has to be provided first, whichever option you take, as its needed as part of the broadband commissioning tests.

0 Ratings
pintosal
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Sometimes the BT database has wrong information for an address.

I've just had fibre installed. Until a couple of weeks ago my potential VDSL line speed was 2Mb/s despite that I was actually getting 8Mb/s on ADSL. My neighbours either side, served from the same pole and same cabinet were able to get the full 77Mb/s speed.

I had to make a complaint, and after 3 months an engineer actually checked the records and updated them.

At the time, I was with SSE, not even with BT, so it's worth perservering.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Until you have a phone line in place the database cannot be updated to show what's available. It should take less than a week to update once the line is installed.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe beat me to it.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings