cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewBuilder01
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Fibre not available for new build - what to do?

Hi,

We are due to complete on a new build property in a couple of weeks on phase 2 of a Redrow development, in an area served by a fibre-enabled cabinet. The house in phase 1 to the South of our property that backs onto our garden can get fibre broadband (~65-70Mb) and the house (not part of our development) to the West that backs onto our garden can also get the same. Both houses are served by the same cabinet and if I check their postcodes, they can all get ~70 meg. From my checks I believe that the cabinet is to the South of our property.

Up until a few days ago, our postcode and address check was showing as 60+Mb fibre broadband, but now all of a sudden we are being told on online checks that fibre isn't available at the property and that only 7Mb will be available. I wasn't in a position to place an order until now, as we've only got our completion date a couple of days ago.

I work from home in IT and rely on this broadband and have only purchased a house in this area given that it is enabled for fibre broadband! I'm looking at options for working around this, but these are not viable long-term solutions.

If I do an address check (we don't have a phone line yet) on http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput, I get these results:

Our results

If I do an address check for one of the adjacent properties (I don't know their phone numbers), I get these results:

Adjacent House Results

If I also do a check on Openreach I get results saying:

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.

I've checked every address in phase 2 and they all have the same issue, so I'm in a bit of a panic. I rang the developers today but only got through to sales and will need to wait for Tuesday to speak to the site manager, as I'd like to know what arrangements are in place with Openreach and what is going to be done about this going forward. I also rang BT this morning but TBH didn't get any more info that I can get online myself. I then submitted a form on Openreach asking what was happening, but they say it can be up to 28 days before they reply, so they are well covered for taking their time!

Given that the adjacent houses are on the same cabinet and have fibre, is it simply a matter that things haven't registered properly yet in Openreach's systems? We are likely to be the first people to move in and are closest to the existing houses that all have the fast fibre connection.

I am also curious about FTTP - I am willing to pay money to ensure a good connection and the DSL checker site suggests this is available for our cabinet, but I don't have a clue how I can probe further in that area? Any checks I do online just point back to 7Mb non-fibre, but quite frankly I'd rather not have that, as it's an insulting speed and completely unusable for anything more than basic browsing.

Any help/advice you can offer here would be much appreciated, particularly given it's a new build and whether we just need to be patient. Given it's a bank holiday, it's fallen at a really bad time as no-one is around to answer questions. I've gone from hopefully having an enjoyable last bank holiday before we move, to panic and constant stress!

Maybe I just need to be patient, but I'm hoping someone here can offer advice, or tool me with the right questions / terms to ask the right people.

Sorry for the long post - I've tried to give the info that is typically asked for when others have asked similar questions.

Many thanks,
Michael.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre not available for new build - what to do?

No data will be entered for your property as you do not have a line installed. Once you get a line in the database will be updated to show what is fully available.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Hi you will need an active phone line before you can order Infinity 

FTTP is not available to you FTTP oD is a business product and expensive bothfor its installation and montly costs and is a long contract product 

0 Ratings
NewBuilder01
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thank you both for the quick replies.

If I check the availability of fibre broadband packages at the adjacent properties, I am not supplying a phone number, just an address and they show all the infinity packages available. Is that somehow knowing they have a number tied to that address?

The same product check for all addresses on the new phase all don't offer fibre as an option, so it seems very strange that they can't tell me what is available, or perhaps 7Mb is all that is on offer?

So should I go ahead and order the standard 7Mb broadband with a provider of my choice in order to get the phone line activated?

That still feels like there's no guarantee that they will give me fibre broadband, or is it simply how this process works?

Happy to place an order if it isn't going to add any complications to the process?

Thanks,
Michael.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Yes all you need to order is a basic phone line and once activated you will then be able to order fibre service Openreach need the line active to set up a broadband service
0 Ratings