cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JediGarry
Message 1 of 11

Fibre not showing as available but 99% sure it is

I'm due to move house in two days and wanted to order the broadband to minimise downtime. However, after trying to order BT's Superfast Fibre, I get to the last stage in the order and it says that I'm not eligible and can only get standard broadband of 1.5 - 3.5Mb.  I called BT direct and they said that fibre isn't available to my address.

I've been 5 different broadband checker sites and they all say that fibre is available so I did a test and tried to order it using the address of the houses either side of mine and they both go through fine.

Any advice would be great.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre not showing as available but 99% sure it is

What does the DSL checker show for the address?  I assume you don't have the phone number for the property?

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.address

0 Ratings
JediGarry
Message 3 of 11

The result is below for the postcode as you're correct, I don't have the telephone number.

I've just spoken to BT and they've said that the previous owners (who now live in Tenerife) still have an active service on the line which is preventing them from putting a fibre order through. Is this correct? The guy also checked the houses surrounding ours under the same postcode and they all have fibre running up to 54Mb.

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 11.34.06.png

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 11

The address checker will not be accurate enough for the OP as the houses either side are showing fibre as available.

@JediGarry you could go with basic broadband and upgrade once up and running.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Fibre (FTTC VDSL) is not available for this address according to the checker - if you put your neighbours address in does it show anything for VDSL?  It is possibly a database error if neighbours either side can get VDSL.  The current owner will have to cease their line before you can take it over.

0 Ratings
JediGarry
Message 6 of 11

What's also interesting is if I place an order with TalkTalk, it checks the address and lets me put an order in all the way through for fibre?

@pippincp That is an option I guess, might take a while though?

0 Ratings
JediGarry
Message 7 of 11

Apologies @brookheather, I used just the postcode checker previously, not the full address for the property. Here's the result with the full address...

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 11.44.08.png

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

So VDSL will be available to your new property by 30th April 2020 - do the neighbours show the same date?  You could also try entering your postcode in CodeLook and see the current status of your cabinet - it may show that Fibre is being installed:

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

0 Ratings
JediGarry
Message 9 of 11

This is weird, I've put in the houses either side and getting the same result of available Apr 30 2020. When we looked at the house a couple of months ago I knocked next door to ask about broadband (I work from home so need a semi-decent speed) as it was one of the factors in moving to that area and he said he has had fibre running since November of last year and gets around 30-48Mbs, sometimes 50+.

Also, when I spoke to BT earlier, he checked the fibre availability of the houses either side and said "yes, I can see that those properties are on fibre speeds, they're lines are BT where as this property is just listed as npf (I think)..."

Am I going crazy?

0 Ratings
JediGarry
Message 10 of 11

Thanks @brookheather Doing a search on CodeLook brings back this...

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 12.06.08.png

0 Ratings