cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpriteWuff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Fibre optic cabling from exchange to cabinet

There are many companies that do services for fibre from the cabinet to the home, but no services that do cabling from the exchange to the cabinet. 

Is it possible to do that cabling personally or is there a possible way to hire BT to just install that part of cabling?

My neighbour hood is in close proximity to the exchange, so within about 400m.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Fibre optic cabling from exchange to cabinet

Not exactly sure what you are asking here, your question is confusing, but I assume you are connected directly to the exchange rather than a cabinet (known as an EO line) and wish to have a VDSL (Superfast service). This is not technically possible as the equipment to provide VDSL services is not allowed to be installed in Exchanges for technical reasons. Occasionally Openreach have provided a cabinet in the Exchange grounds to provide VDSL but it is not universal. The cost of providing the cabinet runs into tens of thousands of pounds.

SpriteWuff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

I forgot to mention that the cabinet is just outside our estate. So, about 150m away from my house.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

So basically you are asking about enabling your cabinet for FTTC, which again will cost tens of thousands of pounds. Have you asked your local BDUK scheme if there are any plans to fund your cabinet if Openreach don't intend to upgrade it?

Put you phone number in here and post a screenshot of the results. Delete your phone number from the screenshot before posting but leave exchange and cabinet information.

Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 27

There are no companies that do fibre from the cabinet to the home. Not even Openreach.

SpriteWuff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

If there are companies that do cabling for businesses (there are), there will be companies that do it for residential properties.

In case you are referring to FTTP, I was not even hinting at that. CTTP is fine. But FTTC would at least improve network performance and down/upload values.

(CTTP - Copper to the premises)
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 27

It’s still not clear what you are asking, if the cabinet that serves your address hasn’t been upgraded with FTTC, then you could enquire with a Openreach if there are any plans for it to be done, or if there is any BDUK type scheme to improve speeds, or you could try and get a CFP ( community funded project ) up and running , where the gap between what OR are willing to spend and the actual cost of providing a cabinet is met by the community that will benefit.
As it’s an Openreach copper pair cabinet , then no other company can provide FTTC apart from OR, there is a product available to providers called sub loop unbundling, where this other company builds its own cabinet near the OR copper cabinet, and as it signs up customers , that customer D side cable pair is diverted into this third party cabinet, but it’s rarely used , as if it were economical viable then OR would have already done it
TBH , there may well be reasons why the cab that serves you hasn’t been done, perhaps too few customers would have a significant improvement, or perhaps getting power into a ‘fibre’ cab could be a problem.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Perhaps if the OP posted the requested information I asked for earlier we would have a better idea of the situation.

SpriteWuff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

The only issue with the requested information is my number is registered with Sky, not BT.
0 Ratings
SpriteWuff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Our neighbours had a little chat and found that it is likely we would have to wait a whole 12 months until any kind of progress on the network issue is to begin.
0 Ratings