cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 31

Re: Fibre optic entry - indoor side

Go to solution

@FloFosterJenkins 

8mm but you need a 10mm hole with a bit of the internal part of the hole being widened to 12 mm for the grey part that the white cap fits onto.

Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

I had no idea until the engineer arrived that the Openreach FTTP devices were powered and that the leads were very short. Nowhere does BT or Openreach specify this crucial information. I am furious, especially because the engineer left without saying that our BB would be cut off anyway, so we had no BB - with important Zoom meetings imminent. (Fortunately an EE emergency box has arrived) Had he told me, I’d have rigged up a temporary extension cable, pending a concealed spur feed to a new double socket very close to the location of the new kit.
I  had to cancel the appointment, and have spent a day so far running a spur cable, hacking out a back box. Another few hours connecting the spur, and fitting a panel to conceal the spur (white conduit in the pic), and, in due course, the new FTTP cable.

The current cable enters via a hole about 10mm. I hope that the FTTP conduit fits.

How flexible is the FTTP cable from the internal entry point to the new kit? Once it’s exited the white circular cover pictured above (thanks for that - very helpful) it will just need to bend quite gently before following the same path as the current cable.proposed FTTP entry pointproposed FTTP entry point

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution
Thank you! 1911 internal plasterwork has crumbled away to more than 12mm so that shouldn’t be a problem.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution
Thank you, Keith. Nothing there about requiring two electrical sockets very close to the new kit. Yes, two, so that information is wrong. The engineer who attended said that there were two internal devices involved, both requiring a domestic power socket.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

My install was not flush to the wall, so looks like it is hanging off. I've never been happy about it. A bit slap-dash. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

I tried to upload a pic of ours but the file size was too large.

Anyway, apart from our cap being white & the ONT being white & smaller, the actual quality of the installation looks like this.

ONT Install.jpg

Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

I assume that the engineer who turned up with two devices requiring had the top one on this page - the modem and the battery pack.
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont
I think this socket should be close enough lol.20231029_130101.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

@FloFosterJenkins 

that link is an old ONT and there is no longer a battery back up  the 2 sockets are for ONT and the SH2

ONT looks like this about 4" square

ont-pon.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

@FloFosterJenkins 

Openreach haven't used battery back-up packs for some time, but they say a double socket's required in case the router is going next to the ONT.

This is the ONT that Openreach use now.

Adtran ONT.jpg