cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Fibre rollout

Hi,

Until recently I was able to get fibre broadband from BT, on the website it suddenly said I was only able to get standard broadband and going on openreach site it states my area is currently being upgraded to full fibre which is great news as within the next couple of months my broadband is up for renewal.

I've since seen the people pulling the fibre cables in to the underground ducts in the road and connecting what they say were the UI connections.

My question is does anyone know roughly how long it usually takes to complete the roll our from start to finish as I don't want to renew my contract with another provider to find in a few weeks I could have had full fibre.

Thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Fibre rollout

There is no standard time.

how-long-is-a-piece-of-string-1160x508.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

another helpful pippin reply 🙂

For me, I noted them pulling fibre in June 2020 and was able to order 6 months later in December. It was then installed this year 1st Feb.

The database seems to do some strange things, as it was worrying when it went from 'soon' on the OR website to 'no plans' and as they finished installing and had not put anything in the chamber outside my house I thought that they had decided they couldn't run to our house, however it was just the database in error after an update.

but its worth registering your interest on the OR website as you should get an email when its available to order.

It of course depends on the size of the estate and the build I imagine and if they run across any problems (collapsed or blocked ducts)

Message 4 of 19

@Gary_C  If there is a standard time could you please enlighten us? The OP posed a question that we cannot answer.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

There's also issues like this that rear their head occasionally.

"Residents on a relatively new build homes development in the rural Shropshire (England) market town of Shifnal have been left confused after  Openreach, which had been deploying a 1Gbps Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband network in the area, suddenly abandoned the build due to a “system error” and cost issues."

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/04/system-error-and-costs-stop-openreach-fttp-build-in-sh... 

Message 6 of 19

It was a light hearted dig 🙂

You put the string message up when I asked exactly the same question. Makes new users feel as if they have asked a stupid question and is not very welcoming.

But, your right in that its a bit of an unknown. All we can do is share out experiences.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Did I really?  Could you please post a link to that?

Just as an FYI I did answer the OP's question berfore the string image,😀

Message 8 of 19

Thanks appreciate the reply, they have had the guys around prior to them starting to pull the cables checking, clearing and repairing the ducts so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later that it will be available.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Phil, you have broadband already I gather from your comment about renewing? Then you've no requirement to renew your contract for a year/2years when the end of your current contract comes - just do nothing and it'll revert to a monthly agreement. Depending on the deal the monthly payment may be slightly higher but some contracts like the Halo contract I'm on have the same out of contract pricing once the period has lapsed.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Hi bkehoe 

Yes I currently have broadband and TV package with sky and I'm gonna bin the TV bit and I just didn't want to sign up to a new 18/24 month contract if within the next few months BT are going to have the full fibre available.

I was just going to switch over to BT fibre and then upgrade my package when they say its available but unfortunately due to the roll out they aren't selling any fibre packages currently in my area and are only offering around 7mbps which when I'm currently in 80 is a massive drop.

I suppose as you say though it's better to just have the rolling monthly contract until its available to order full fibre.

Thanks for your help and advice.

0 Ratings