Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ithomasseven
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Fibre speed dropped after new contract

Go to solution
I've renewed my contract from Infinity 1 to Fibre plus just over 2 weeks ago (5th July) and noticed a drop in download speed by about 10-15mbps to 32mbps, my original speeds were between 42-48mbps. The help desk mentioned my contract changed from Infinity 1 to infinity 2 (my original contract wouldn't allow infinity 2 as my line doesn't achieve anything more than 50mbps, so not sure how this was done) BT have sent out an engineer who confirmed no issue on the line and suggested it's a profile issue and would report this back, engineer said within 48 hours I'd notice a disconnect for about 15 minutes then it would reconnect at the old speeds again

4-5 days later and nothing has changed, I've spoken to a few people at BT since, they've tested the connection and said they could see a speed of 40mbps to the router but the downsync still stays at 32mbps when I check the hh6. I was told I'd get a call back yesterday to look into it further but haven't heard back.

I know the speed I have now is within the "acceptable" range but I'm paying the same price as my old contract (fibre plus is supposedly better) and I'm now getting slower speeds which is disappointing.

Can anything more be done or am I now stuck with these speeds?

Any help would be appreciated. My exchange is Hawarden, Cabinet 34

Thanks
0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Fibre speed dropped after new contract

Go to solution

There a few other posts identical yo yours if you use search facility

with the change your line has been reset and you lost G.INP.  The will get activated and boost your speed but can take a couple of weeks provided your connection remains stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ithomasseven
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution
Thanks I'll see how it goes for the next few weeks. Someone has actually just called me back but this was never mentioned. They've just booked out another enginner, as their records show the visit was cancelled!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

Engineer won't be able to help. If he got DLM reset you would be back to square one with no G.INP and waiting again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mikegl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

The main news here is that BT CAN reset fttc connections and thus fix issues associated with dlm.

However they only seem to be able to do this by mistake!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

In this case a DLM reset will not solve this problem it was the upgrade which caused the line reset resulting in termination of G.INP and reduction in speed. G.INP will be activated automatically by the DLM in about couple of weeks maybe less provided line is stable

0 Ratings
ithomasseven
Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution
I really wish BT would tell people this info when changing contracts
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

It does not apply to everyone only people on Huawei street cabinets. Customers on ECI don't at present have G.INP - unfortunately I am on ECI

0 Ratings
ithomasseven
Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

The 2nd engineer visited today, completed a line check, checked the wiring to the outside of the house and also changed the master socket to ensure there were no issues and confirmed all is ok.  

He said the speed from the exchange to the cabinet is 80mbps, but due to the distance from the cabinet to my house the max speed will be up to 50mbps.  Engineer mentioned as I've been moved to Infinity 2 (through the Fibre Plus contract) from Infinity 1, there's no benefit and the speeds will actually drop off more, so I should be moved back to Infinity 1 and would report this back

Is there anyone from BT who monitor this forum who can pick this up? I've spent too much time ringing the service desk and being passed to several departments and after the first engineer report never went back to them (as the appointment apparently got cancelled) I'm reluctant to ring them again and waste more time

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

I think you may  have misunderstood what the engineer was saying. Your speeds will "not drop off more". The only difference between Infinity 1 and 2 is an artificial software cap, your line will get the maximum it can support no matter which you are on.

0 Ratings