Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Fibre speed variation

Hi, 

What speed test is most reliable for measuring fttp please? 

My BT SH2 says the "speed to my hub" under broadband speed result as 141Mb DL and 31Mb UL. I pay for 150/30.

However any test I do says between 70 and 100MB. Both WIFI and Ethernet ports confirm this on multiple test sites. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre speed variation

the 150/30 is max connection speed not download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Yes, that's fine but not much use in the real world. 

My connection is capable if at least a 1000Mb but no use if the download speed averages 2Mb.

What I'd like to establish is what BT are capable of providing based upon things like contention ratios, congestion etc. 

This is where a fair comparison between ISPs can be gained. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

You don’t pay for a 1Gb connection what has that got to do with anything ?, plus you say in real world ( third party checkers presumably) you get 70Mb to 100Mb , so what’s the relevance of 2Mb ?,
If you are FTTP your connection is at the rate you pay for (150Mb) and under download your report you say it states 141Mb, this is , considering the ‘overheads’ any Ethernet connection is going to have, is probably spot on ( in other words on a 150Mb connection , you won’t get 150Mb but slightly less, in your case something like 93-94% of the connection speed)

Obviously a system that has a variable number of users may have varying throughput , not all of it under your ISP’s control, if your ‘speed’ falls below the minimum your ISP states , then ask them it investigate , but if your worse speed is in excess of that minimum, which you don’t mention,  what’s is the problem ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

We seem to be getting side tracked. 

Unfortunately if I get 70Mb download speed when my connection is 150MB, that isn't good. Unless someone disagrees with less than 50% of the connection speed is good? 

Downloading 27GB, the difference between 70Mb and 140Mb is hours. I was hoping fibre would be able deliver more.

So coming back to the original question, is there a better way of testing download speed other than actually downloading a huge test file please? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

70Mb download to where ?, a third party speed checker site ?, do you know if they have sufficient bandwidth to give 100% 24/7....should your ISP be responsible for that ?
If the BTw checker shows 141Mb, when that site shows 70Mb, then your ‘connection’ is performing as required, but the ‘internet’ isn’t , that could be congestion that your ISP supplier can do something about, or something outside of their control.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

So many different websites say 70Mb, Google says 96Mb, BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test says 136Mb.

Probably a better question is what contention ratio is ultrafast fibre by BT supplied at?

I know adsl suppliers that varied in their ratios. Some better than others.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 12

There were  variations in ADSL due to LLU unbundling where providers had their own equipment in the exchange. This is not the case with FTTP. Unless you are in an area with hyperoptic, city fibre etc your ISP will be using Openreach infrastructure with exactly the same contention ratio.

Try this speedtest. http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Openreach are only responsible from the Head End to the ONT.

Before the Head End it goes to a Handover Point where it then Routes onto the CP Equipment. Obviously at the minute all the CP’s who sell FTTP use the BT Wholesale Network but Sky, when they eventually start selling it and TALKTALK who have now started trials with some of their existing customers will still route it through their LLU Network so you may still see variations in throughput speeds between customers using different CP Backhaul Networks.

Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for that @Starwire 

0 Ratings