cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Fibre through existing domestic cable duct?

OpenReach will be installing my full fibre broadband this week. I've realised that I've got an old cable duct running from a place that would be good for placing the ONT modem, and it goes to a wall box outside the house. Does anyone know if OpenReach would be able to pull the fibre through this duct or is the installation process strictly a drill-a-hole-in-the-wall job.

Thanks for any insight.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Fibre through existing domestic cable duct?

Provided it's suitable and not more work for them, they'll use it if you ask.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

OK. Thanks. I didn’t know if the fibre ‘cable’ could be pulled as well as poked through things. At the moment there is an old (now unused) coax cable in the duct. Is it best to leave it there or would it be more helpful if I used the old cable to pull in a length of thin rope or thick string?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Openreach cannot use another providers duct even if it is no longer in use.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Does this rule about other providers’ ducts apply even if the duct belongs to the house? I would have thought that if I own the duct and ask them to use it there shouldn’t be a problem. In fact I think the coax was originally installed by BT or their predecessor.

But if those are the rules they’re following…

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

About 50% of my neighbours have their fibre fed into the house using ducts that were put in place when the houses were built (one duct that has been used by Openreach, Sky, and VM) - ie they came with the house.  The other 50% of us have fallen foul of builders not understanding that such ducting needs a certain corner radius and not have insulating foam leaking into it at the joins.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

I'm guessing that it will probably come down to how helpful the engineer is prepared to be on the day. I don't know what the corner radius is but the coaxial cable seems to move fairly freely so I'd think it was OK.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

If the duct was supplied by the builders of the house then it isn't another provider as in Communication company.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

@pippincp Yes, I don't see why putting the cable through my duct is any different than putting it through my wall. Anyway, I'll try and make things as easy as possible for the engineer and hope they will go along with that. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

I would suggest using the coax to pull through a draw string - that way the installer doesn't need to worry about whether the coax is in use or not.

My experience was the installer was more than happy to use a pre-installed conduit and draw string as it made his job easier (and I got to have the ONT where I wanted it).