Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 21 of 31

Re: Fibre through loft to router

Go to solution

@Lingwood wrote:
The open reach guy that ran the fibre to the house said 30m plus along with this in the email from bt

On the day, your engineer can run an uninterrupted fibre cable (up to 30 metres long) to your home Hub from the box on your outside wall. This cable can only go along walls, both internally and externally, but not under carpets or floors - they may also need to drill some holes (as carefully as possible)

I think there is some confusion here and not from your end. An uninterrupted fibre cable can be any length, a data extension cable is 30mtrs (FTTC}, ethernet can be up to 100mtrs.

When your fibre is installed there will be an ONT fitted just inside where the fibre enters your premises, there will then be an ethernet lead to connect your Hub. The ONT is connected to the EZ Bend cable which has a maximum length of 2.5mtrs from the outside. There is no fibre lead to the Hub, it terminates at the ONT.

0 Ratings
Lingwood
Contributor
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution
Ok so working back from router I know that is Ethernet as a short cable comes in new router box.

Currently we only have the fibre coming to the house and terminating outside (not inside) therefore i an not clear what connects the outside box to the inside box?

As far as I was told by guy that ran the fibre and by info above it is upto 30m of fibre?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution

the last post made by pippincp explains what connects the out side connection to the ONT inside

1351515986_w670_h549.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution
It may look slightly different as Openreach are now, in some areas installing a new Huawei device which houses the ONT and backup battery in one unit.

The new ONT only has 1 port as opposed to 4.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Lingwood
Contributor
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution
Well they have finally done the job!

Showed him route and he had to phone manager to check was ok

30m real of FIBRE was run no problem just waiting for my speed check
Lingwood
Contributor
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution
So it's not working!

When I left guy was doing connections at box, but he was still here at mid afternoon. He apparently left and came back a bit later and then he was back again at 4:30 until 6:30 phoning people and then went back to exchange at 7pm to check the card?

He said I am first to use the card and he thinkable card is at fault!

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution
The Step 2 Installation itself is the easy bit. Problem for the Step 2 Engineer is he/she is reliant on Step 1 connecting the fibre to the correct DP/Splitter/Aggregation Node.

He/she is also dependent on everything being built correctly at the Head End and Wholesale end.

Chances are something's gone **bleep** up with Step 1. Probably been put onto the wrong Splitter or something. Wouldn't be the first time and I can virtually guarantee it won't be the last.

Thing with FTTP it's nothing like Copper. At least with that an Engineer can divert pairs, easily put up new drop wire spans, etc but with fibre you can't do that.

It's all built off specific Head Ends, Aggregation Nodes, Splitter Nodes and if it's not where it's supposed to be it won't work and a Step 2 Engineer can't just move it about.
0 Ratings
Lingwood
Contributor
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution
I feel like I am getting my money's worth back out of open reach for my time they have wasted LOL
0 Ratings
Lingwood
Contributor
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution
Finally got it working! Two more part one engineera looked at it all today and after checking fibre and exchange they chnaged the white box in the house that the router connects to and second one the fitted it still did not work but third one it worked!

Must have been a bad batch
0 Ratings
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know you're sorted @Lingwood

Cheers

David

0 Ratings