cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Fibre to property + keeping existing cable

Is it possible to have Fibre to property installed and to keep the existing copper cable for the intruder alarm monitoring service?

As the alarm company will have to install new equipment and charge an additional £12 per month to monitor the alarm via the fibre connection!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre to property + keeping existing cable

You might retain the Copper Service for now but later this year they are supposed to start moving all FTTP Customers onto Digital Voice.

Also by 2025 BT/Openreach are switching off the Public Switched Telephone Network and everyone will have a DSL Only Service with Voice Services delivered by VOiP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

@Starwire wrote:

Also by 2025 BT/Openreach are switching off the Public Switched Telephone Network and everyone will have a DSL Only Service with Voice Services delivered by VOiP.

pig2.GIF

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

What you don’t think they’re going to switch it off.

BT/Openreach have publicly said they are as it’s not cost effective to run two networks parallel to each other and that they are switching it off.

Theres already about 120 Exchanges Listed where they’ve said from July 2021 they will no Longer accept orders for the PSTN Network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I don't doubt they are going to switch it off, but it ain't going to be done and dusted by 2025!!

Message 6 of 12

Well that’s an opinion, doesn’t make it fact. Maybe they will do it by 2025 maybe it’ll be 2026.

Openreach are already pushing more an more CP’s onto it.

BT have just announced they are going to increase the amount of SOGEA Orders, EE are now pushing SOGEA onto their new customers and all of Sky SOGEA and FTTP Customers now get VOiP straight away.

For the past month or so I’ve seen more SOGEA Provides in the work stack then WLR3/LLU Provisions.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@Starwire wrote:

Well that’s an opinion, doesn’t make it fact. Maybe they will do it by 2025 maybe it’ll be 2026.

Any more than your opinion makes it fact. Maybe it'll be 2036.

As an example, to convert me to fibre they have to replace about 200metres of 2 pair armoured DIG that has no access for a digger and would need to be hand dug, crosses a private concrete road and continues through my garden with no digger access. I must be one of many like that through the country.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Switching off the Public Switched Telephone Network doesn’t mean everyone will get FTTP by 2025.

The Majority of will still be delivered over VDSL until such time you do get FTTP.

Anyway if you did your homework you’d know Openreach are doing a massive recruitment for their own in house Civils, which are trained to use these new trenching machines that can dig, lay a sub duct and back fill it at the same time.

Anyway, 200m is nothing. I’ve seen dozens of digs like that done by hand. It’s a mans job though so I understand why you doubt it could be done.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

There is sufficient bandwidth on even the slowest ADSL connection, to carry VOIP. Its been done before on the Broadband Talk service. Digital Voice is very similar. 64Kbs is all that is needed for a single voice call. Broadband Talk offered 64 or 128Kbs quality.

Remember its the PSTN network (Telephone Exchange Equipment) that is being retired, as its very old now,  costly to maintain, and has number portability issues.

An ATA adapter will handle any DC signalling requirements for alarm systems, but will require changes at the alarm monitoring company. BT Redcare have had this for many years now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@Starwire wrote:

It’s a mans job though so I understand why you doubt it could be done.

Exactly, I buried it originally which is why I doubted it could be done today!!!

0 Ratings