cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wilsons102
Message 1 of 7

Fibre to the Property Ridiculiously slow?

So i moved into a new build property , i was with BT in my previous house but i had continious connection issues and router problems eventually switched to sky and had trouble free broadband with them for 3 years.

So i moved to this new build house and i have to take BT as its now Fibre to the property and BT was the only ones offering it initially , having had poor connections etc i was slightly reluctant but being a gamer playing lots of games online etc i was also happy to have fibre to the property now.

However my connection speeds have been dissapointing to say the least , they are in fact slower than the Sky Fibre to the Cabinet i had in my previous house.

In games im getting ludricious pings of 500-800ms making them unplayable, i have tried both a wired and wifi connection which seems to make no difference , running BT's connection tester its showing i have my advertised speeds of 140mbps , however if i run ANY others like google, Ookla  etc speed test none of them come close to this , all showing single figure speeds 6-8mbps , occasionally im getting 20-30mbps but even then this is a far cry from an advertised 150mbps and why is it only BT's tester is showing this but nobody elses is ?

If i run any connection issue diagnostics all im getting is windows was unable to identify the connections proxy settings if this could help ?

Is there anything on my end i could be doing wrong here or can try ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre to the Property Ridiculiously slow?

Download speed can only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain. When you carry out a speedtest on the BT speedtester you carrying out the test wholly within the BT network, with any other speedtester you are connecting to the wider internet which may have a bottleneck somewhere that is beyond BTs control.

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

The BT speedtest shows the speed from the router to the ISP which indicates your line is fine. The other speedtests are from your device to the isp, so the issue is the connection between your devices and the router. 

0 Ratings
wilsons102
Message 4 of 7

Thought as much , what can i do to investigate this

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Run ping -n 8.8.8.8 from a wired device and wireless device simultaneously, and see what latency and jitter you get

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@clonk wrote:

The BT speedtest shows the speed from the router to the ISP which indicates your line is fine.

No, it shows the speed from your device to the BT speedtest site within the BT network. The Sync speed on the router shows the speed from the router to the DSLAM

The other speedtests are from your device to the isp, so the issue is the connection between your devices and the router. 

Err, no. The issue is beyond the BT network.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Good morning @wilsons102 and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting about the connection problem. I hope we'll be able to help with this. The guys are all correct about the speed tests, we would always recommend using the wholesale test. I'd go with @clonk advice here. Can you try testing as per his post and let us know how it goes?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings