cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Fibre to the home connection

Go to solution

Hi everyone

Fibre to the home now available in our street (yayy) and installation is booked in for next week

Just a question on the installation itself regarding the routing of wiring as i've not yet seen an Open Reach engineer scoping the job to ask them

As i understand it, the cable will be routed to the home and an external box fitted from where i presume the fibre cabling is run inside via a hole drilled through the wall?

My question is....does the hole in the wall have to be where the external box is mounted on the outside to allow the fibre cable to enter the property so is none of the 'smaller' fibre cable on show (i.e directly out the back of the external box and into the property), or can it be run up the wall from the external box and into the property through a hole drilled by myself into un upstairs room, meaning that the smaller fibre cable from the external box would be on show

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Fibre to the home connection

Go to solution

It depends if you are having a 1 stage or 2 stage process if you get an external box (CSP). Even if you do get a CSP the fibre cable can be run externally to where you want the ONT sited.

Don't bother pre-drilling holes, the install engineer wil discuss with you were you wish the ONT be sited.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you pippin

I need to pre-drill ideally, as i want the installation upstairs and the top half of the property is covered in the plastic fake wood cladding they put onto new houses these days, so i was going to drill the hole and run a thin rope through the hole from the inside and down the gap behind the cladding so all they'd need to do is pull it through on the day, which is why i asked the question about the external running of the smaller cable as the CSP box will need to be sighted at ground level

Not sure if it was down to be a 1 stage or 2 stage process....when i phoned to ask BT it turns out that they're not going into anybody's house to connect anything under the new covid guidelines and will only do external work - no inside work until after end of FEB apparently!

Cheers again for your help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

They may not run the fibre behind cladding as it would effect the bend radius of the cable. You may end up drilling for nothing. Best to wait for install engineer.