cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Fibre to the home slow speed

Hi, I had bt fibre to the home installed about 3 weeks ago and subscribed to the full fibre 900 halo 2 package. I have been doing speed tests via an ethernet connected fingbox and I'm getting between  340mb and 420mb. I was told for the first 10 days of having the connection set up they would be running tests on my line and the speed would be slow and fluctuate. Its about 3 weeks now and still getting the same slower speeds. My upload is spot on and is consistent aswell as my latency which is about 8ms. I rang the fbbh customer team today and they ran a speedtest on my line and it was coming back at 825mb and the rest of the tests were normal.

I have just switched from Virgin Media 500mb plan and was getting a consistent 520mb download using the same ethernet connected fingbox, so I know the fingbox server can handle over 500mb per second.

520mb per second on a 500mb plan with virgin media on a fibre to the cabinet then coax cable to the house vs 340mb - 420mb per second on a full fibre to the home bt full fibre 900 halo 2 plan just doesn't seem right?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Fibre to the home slow speed

Just because it could handle 500Mb on Virgin does not mean it can do it on BT unfortunately.

Virgin use DHCP to assign your IP.

BT uses PPP.

PPP adds a fair bit of processing for the router to do meaning you will get lower speeds from a device that doesn't have enough CPU oomph.

If the supplied BT Smart Hub 2 does full speeds then your router isn't powerful enough.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Hi John

I'm currently using an Asus rog rapture GT-AX11000 which is asus top of the range gaming router connected directly to my fingbox. The asus router is also connected directly to the Internet port on the openreach modem. Im not using the bt hub currently. Surely it can handle bt's fibre to the home setup?

Message 4 of 17

P.s I also tested the speed with the fingbox connected to the bt smart hub 2 with the bt smart hub 2 connected directly to the openreach modem but was still getting the same speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

So your setup is ...

OpenReach ONT(fibre modem)  > Asus GT-AX11000  > Fingbox?

Is that correct?

With that setup there's nothing special about how BT FTTP is delivered that would slow down the Fingbox.

Do you get full speed from the Asus with this setup?

If your connection setup is...

OpenReach ONT(fibre modem)  > Fingbox > Asus GT-AX11000

Then the Fingbox is doing the hard PPP work.

Basically whatever device is connected to the ONT that you enter the BT username and password in to needs to be powerful enough or everything on the chain after that will be bottlenecked.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Hi John

It goes openreach modem to asus router.

The fingbox just connects to one of the ethernet ports on the asus router to monitor my devices and connection and has no influence on my Internet connection/setup. Its the same setup I had with virgin.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

There's nothing in that setup that should make the speeds to your Fingbox any slower that I can think of.

I'm at a loss.

BT only support their Hub officially and aren't responsible for any devices in your home after that.

If BT provide the necessary speed as far as your hub the rest is your responsibility I'm afraid.

Edit: thinking about this a little more... You could try disabling IPV6 on the Asus and see if that helps.

Virgin currently don't support IPV6 so that might effect how the Fingbox is operating.

Not sure what else you could try to be honest.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Good idea. I'll try disabling ipv6. Thats the only thing I haven't done.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Just tried it with ipv6 disabled and its still the same. Tried it again with the bt smart hub 2 instead of the asus router and its still the same speeds. Tried it also on my pc connected via ethernet and its the same speeds. Can't understand its got to be openreaches line

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

It's easy to test your line, take the router out of the equation and set up a direct PPPoE connection from PC/Laptop to ONT.

0 Ratings