cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Fibre unavailable - but it is!

I’m due to move to my new property very soon. I have tried to order fibre broadband but I keep being told it’s not available. My next door neighbour has it and when the BT engineer was asked about my address, he said it was ready to go and just needed connecting. The telephone post is right outside my house and  my neighbour’s  cable actually has to come past my house where it is connected to the post. My house is even nearer than theirs is! The current speed is shocking (the current occupant has informed me). There are 2 of us who will need a good connection for working from home and 2 children that need to access online lessons. Does anyone know how I can get connected please? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre unavailable - but it is!

@A_C_40 

Welcome to this user forum.

Enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you do not have a BT Retail phone number yet, then use the address checker.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi, thank you. I’ve used the address as my number isn’t yet in use.

EC2C0290-80C7-4591-88B0-4FCFD7F54481.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

The only thing available is 12.5Mbs ADSL.

You have missed the cabinet number and exchange off the results, so please could you say what they are, as its important.

It should say cabinet XX on Exchange xxxx.

I assume you intend to place an order with BT Retail?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi, sorry. It’s cabinet 22.

I have already placed an order for basic broadband as that is all I am told is available. However, since then I have been to the property and discovered that the cable is there, ready for connection, and the current occupant was told it was ready to go (by the engineer) The frustrating thing is that the telephone post is outside my house. I really need to sort this before moving in especially as 2 jobs depend on it. 
I do still have time to cancel my BT order.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

If a direct fibre  (FTTP) connection is available, then you can upgrade at any time, however Openreach are not doing any fibre installs until at least March, and possibly later, owing to Covid restrictions. You did not say which exchange you are connected to.

!2Mbs ADSL is more than adequate for most people unless they do a lot HD video streaming.

If you cancel your order, you will have no connection at all, as all providers, apart from Virgin Media, use the same Openreach lines. You will also go to the bottom of the Openreach work queue. If you choose a different provider, then this forum will not be able to help any more.

My advice is to wait until your BT Retail  phone line is active. Then enter the number into the availability checker again, and that will give you the correct information.

A direct fibre (FTTP) does not come from a cabinet.

What sort of cable can you see?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

It’s the Newquay exchange.
Im not currently there, so I’m unable to see, sorry. Having spoken to the current occupier, I know I will really struggle with 4 people online at once this is why I’m trying to sort it sooner. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@A_C_40 wrote:

It’s the Newquay exchange.
Im not currently there, so I’m unable to see, sorry. Having spoken to the current occupier, I know I will really struggle with 4 people online at once this is why I’m trying to sort it sooner. 

There is no way you are going to be able to sort this out before you move in.

Here is the data for cabinet 22 https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=512622&postcodeloc=13658&cabinet=P22

It depends on what part of Newquay you are moving to,

Most of the FTTP is FTTP on demand, which is an expensive business product.

As I have said, even if FTTP was available, Openreach are not doing any installs at the moment.

As for four people being online, it should not really be an issue, as email and web browsing, is a very intermittent usage, its only if you have more than two people streaming video all of the time, that other users may notice a slowdown.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@A_C_40As your ADSL service will be less than 30Mb you can have an FTTP install before March 1st.

Give the FTTP team a ring. 0800 587 4787

2021-01-13 18_39_37-Covid-19 update - Covid 19 ultrafast process brief 06 January 2021.pdf – Mozilla.png

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it! I’ll give them a call.

0 Ratings