cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 21 of 30

Re: Fibre upgrade for Exchange only lines (EANAR)

Go to solution
Thanks for that imjolly.  Would I be right in thinking you are not connected to one of these cabinets? If so, back to my original post then in the hope that someone has some experience.
@pompey1898 wrote:

I ran a search for "Combined PCP & FTTC Cabinet" and this was the only result.

Has anyone got any experience of having an exchange only line being moved to one of these cabinets please ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 30

Go to solution

the fact that it is a combined cabinet is immaterial  the point is the distance you are from the cabinet determines the length of copper to your home to the DSLAM and therefore the potential speed of your conenction - use the graph if you can estimate your distance from the cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

For a village with an existing PCP, there will be a copper cable(s)  from the exchange to the E-Side, the pairs of which are then jumpered across to one of multiple distribution cables (D-Side) that feed the various distribution poles. When a fibre cabinet is installed, a fibre cable is run to the new cabinet from the exchange and a tie cable to the existing copper cabinet to intercept the copper connection and provide broadband connectivity to the DSLAM in the fibre cabinet. For an all in one cabinet on an EO village, the main cable back to the exchange will be intercepted and become the E-Side whilst the ongoing portion of the copper cable now becomes the D-Side a new fibre cable back to the exchange will also be provided. Instead of a tie cable, all connections will be in the one box.

0 Ratings
Nick5000
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution

Please can someone help me find out if my local exchange will be catering for people with exchange only lines. My exchange is EAERD (East Rudham). The other half of the village has had FTTC for sometime now and a BT engineer said that they would be putting a cabinet outside the exchange so that people with exchange only lines could have fibre but I was told this about 18 months ago.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 30

Go to solution
There is one in planning at the moment, due by October 2016. No details on which postcodes will be affected though.

There's also 2 other regular fibre cabinet upgrades due in the next 7 months, it's possible that a small amount of network rearragement may be done to hook up additional properties to one of these but it's not that common and all depends on the layout of the network in the area.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Nick5000
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks for the info 🙂 I hope we will be included.

0 Ratings
Nick5000
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution

May i ask where you obtain this info? Is it public?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 30

Go to solution
codelook
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
FOEOcross
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution

Openreach say we have an exchange only line and cannot get fast speed fibre. And yet our house is in the middle of three attached houses and the houses attached to us on either side have recently had fibre installed. 

There is an outside chance of our line being exchange only rather than theirs, but surely this is completely irrelevant if fibre has been installed along our road and there are no less than three green distribution cabinets along this straight stretch of road of 250 metres, servicing fewer than 20 houses.

In summary:

If all the infrastructure is in place AND all our neighbours have, or can get fibre, why can't our exchange-only copper line be disconnected and a new fibre cable be connected from the closest distribution cabinet to our house?

Can anyone help, because we are getting nowhere with BT or Openreach after constant enquiries over three months?

0 Ratings
covern
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution

Hi, am looking to move to East Rudham to an EO line property,  is open reach updating cabinets for EO line connection here?

0 Ratings