cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Fibre with Halo 2 speeds not achieved

Right, I apologise in advance for being another whinging customer throughout these tough times that my broadband speed isn't achieving what I expected but I just wanted to check there isn't a blooming error on my part.

I use to be on the old fibre 1 contract (capped at 50mbps) and was frequently achieving between 46-50. Very recently, I upgraded my broadband to fibre with halo 2 (download speed 49-72mb - stayfast of 42mb). I have had someone come fit a brand new MK4 plate NTE5C combined unit master socket because the previous homeowners installed a chrome plated one with no test socket which was...**bleep**.

So fast forward to today, I am still only getting up to 44mb on my line from the cabinet to my hub when I have checked through the 'My BT' app speed test. I have attached the stats and what not, are there any suggestions as to what I can do? 

Please note: The switch over to the new fibre with halo 2 was on the 13th.  The bridge tap result on the second screenshot has been rectified with the new NTE5C faceplate installed.

BT.JPGBT2.JPG

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fibre with Halo 2 speeds not achieved

If your line never achieved the maximum of Fibre 1 (55 mbps down/10 mbps upload), Halo won't make it faster, Halo isn't just speed, it gives other features that might or might not benefit you.

You get the following on top of the normal broadband benefits :

Free Tech Expert support including home vists
Smart Hub 2
Keep connected promise
Fastest 4G speed (If you have BT mobile)
Double mobile data (If you have BT mobile)
No out of contract increase
No EHIS charge
Fibre 2 speeds minimum (If your line supports)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

I was frequently getting 50mb when checked on a wired connection. Worst I saw it after trying to rectify an issue was 47 so I do believe my line is capable of at least 50?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Connection time is only 1 hr is that hub dropping connection or manual reset?

from the hub stats you have an attainable of 66mb so you should get closer to that than current 47mb and you need to maintain a stable connection with no resets

is there any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best done with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Once your connection is stable with speed nearer attainable then hopefully DLM will activate G.INP which would give you a bit of a speed boost but needs to get stable connection first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

@imjollywrote:

Connection time is only 1 hr is that hub dropping connection or manual reset?

from the hub stats you have an attainable of 66mb so you should get closer to that than current 47mb and you need to maintain a stable connection with no resets

is there any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best done with corded phone 

Thanks, that was due to me pulling out the front of the faceplate just for a nosey 👀 I never have a dropped connection apart from a few times at approximately 2am (guessing some kind of maintenance).

17070 was checked but with the BT cordless phone and I do hear a slight faint bit of hissing/static but I'm guessing that is common on the cordless phone?

I am not expecting to get 72mb considering my distance from the cabinet but in the 60s would be acceptable to me. I use to get 50mb on the old fibre 1 contract so I'm not sure if this is just due to high traffic demand as most people work from home or an issue on my line.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Unless you were getting max speed on fibre 1 then moving to fibre 2 is just the removal of the 55mb cap there is not any boost in connection speed

using a cordless phone a dull hum is normal but anything else hiss/static is a problem for broadband and needs reported to 151 as a phone fault

i would check from test socket just to make sure the noise is stable there and not an internal problem which could be chargeable

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@imjollywrote:

Unless you were getting max speed on fibre 1 then moving to fibre 2 is just the removal of the 55mb cap there is not any boost in connection speed

using a cordless phone a dull hum is normal but anything else hiss/static is a problem for broadband and needs reported to 151 as a phone fault

i would check from test socket just to make sure the noise is stable there and not an internal problem which could be chargeable

I was informed that fibre 1 was capped at 50(?) by BT and I did achieve that speed on tests. 

Sorry, a dull hum is probably a better way of describing it. I shall check through the test socket soon, hopefully a few days of it settling will help.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

fibre 1 product is 55/10mb connection and fibre 2 is 80/20mb connection speed so if you could not previously get the 55mb then unlikely you are going to see better by moving to fibre 2

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

I'm my limited experience differences between maximum data rate and actual data rate can be down to the length of the DSL cable / filter or faceplate.  Try a shorter DSL(RJ11) cable in the master socket, perhaps?

0 Ratings