cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18
Hi all, just a query that I thought someone may be able to answer.
I have checked with openreach and my cabinet 2 in moneymore is fibre enabled and accepting orders. It says I can’t place an order because my line is long and the speed won’t be super fast?
I think this is unfair as I’m on adsl and only getting 3mb, so I would be happy if the fibre only got 6mb here as it would double my speed, why can I not have this option?
My parents are on a long line from their exchange and are getting bomb connection on their infinity and are perfectly happy with it.
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Fibre

Go to solution
*(Bomb) 8mb
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Enter your phone number HERE and post a screenshot of the result. Remove phone number before posting.

warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Bt-AD6A9B22-CB59-4C7B-BCA8-D0BE1765CFAF.png

Openreach-

19B6831A-21FE-4623-9ED0-5C4A971E82A3.png

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Yes, the Openreach checker is right. Unfortunately, you're too far from the cabinet to order FTTC.

0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Why is this the case? I’m within the 5 mile radius? Would there be no Vdsl signal at my distance. I have a friend which is 6.5 km from the cabinet and gets 5mb, which is an improvement on my 3. I am 4.5 km from the cabinet. I know my parents is 5km and they are getting 8mb. Thanks for the input 👍

0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

I’m only enquiring as and extra couple of mb makes a big difference when you only have three, would hate to think I’m missing out 😁

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Speed vesus distance.

The actual cable distance may be further than that, as the cables do not run direct.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Openreach tend not to offer fibre if the speeds are similar to/slower that standard broadband. Fibre (VDSL2) drops off quicker over distance than ADSL, so even though the line length maybe similar between both technologies, the speed you'll get with VDSL will be potentially much lower than ADSL. Hope that makes sense. 🙂

0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
I have a line attuation of 52 if that gives any indication of my line length.
I get exactly what you are saying about the speed/distance effect , I didn’t realise vdsl would drop off quicker.
I thought as it’s output is at a much faster rate it would be potentially faster still as there is a lot more speed which can be lost . I assume my parents lenght would be roughly the same length, although I am aware my line may have more loops and other factors 😊
0 Ratings