Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: Fibre

Go to solution
I was just checking there and reckon my line is just under 3.8km so going by your graph, it may be that the Vdsl speed may be similar to the adsl speed which I am getting , maybe an extra meg or 2 if I was lucky , which would have been nice 😜
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@warrenshaw22 wrote:
I have a line attuation of 52 if that gives any indication of my line length.
I get exactly what you are saying about the speed/distance effect , I didn’t realise vdsl would drop off quicker.
I thought as it’s output is at a much faster rate it would be potentially faster still as there is a lot more speed which can be lost . I assume my parents lenght would be roughly the same length, although I am aware my line may have more loops and other factors 😊

Your line attenuation would suggest a line length of approx 3,765mts.

0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for that, so is the general consensus that Vdsl is more than likely not provide a speed improvement ?
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Correct and the connection would be unstable.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

this graph gives some comparison

FTTC speed graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for that graph, gives a good clear visual indication 👍
Thanks to all who chipped in, good old adsl it is for me for the foreseeable 😩
0 Ratings
Highlighted
pompey1898
Expert
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Is Faster by Fibre, for those unable to get more than 15bps, not an option anymore ?

One of my villagers was ecstatic when she got it a year or two ago which improved her download speed ten fold from ~0.5Mbps on ADSL to ~5Mbps on Vdsl.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

You've given us the line attenuation on ADSL, we wouldn't know what the line attenuation would be on VDSL, unless you were connected to the service. But, if the cabinet is very close to the exchange, then the line length's would be similar, so yes as @pippincp has said, the connection would be incredibly slow/unstable or it may not even work at all.

@pompey1898, depends if the OP would see an increase in speed when connecting via VDSL, which seems very unlikely by the information we've been given.

0 Ratings