cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roco1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Fibre

C9D0054C-971B-4278-9F08-999E95C1FCE1.jpegHi all this has been on the pole outside my house for 6 months now and i cant find out anything about it. Anyone got any ideas ?FBEAAFD1-24C5-46B8-864B-9AAF48D9B444.jpeg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre

It's a joint box for optical cable.

0 Ratings
roco1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi Thanks for the reply, i cant find anything on the net about ultrafast fibre and Openreach don’t know anything. 

The fibre isn’t live yet despite  being here just over 6 months.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

It may be nothing to do with FTTP, it  could be part of a fibre leased line , which doesn’t mean that NGA FTTP will show as being available because of this line plant at this pole,  it says it’s a track joint on a spine cable, chances are for whatever reason , the UG cable couldn’t continue underground , so was brought up a pole, , changes to fibre drop cable, spans over whatever the underground issue was , and then probably disappears underground again , it could be something like excavation across a ‘site’ entrance was required, permission was refused by the site owner who didn't want access to their site interrupted, or wanted too much money to grant permission,  so OR errect ‘goalposts’ either side of this issue, to get around it ,  or could just be the point at which a UG cable transitions to overhead ( overhead being lots cheaper ) for an area that is getting FTTP , so if the pole with this track joint serves you with copper, it isn’t going to make native FTTP available to you

0 Ratings
roco1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi thanks for the reply, 

The nodes are all over our village up to the next village 5 miles away. I did ask open reach when they called to do a line repair recently and they said you should be connected to it but its missing the connection on the top of the pole what ever that means. He did say it was to provide fibre to the houses but was a bit vague. 

He said take a picture and send it to open reach to ask but even they aren’t sure. I got reply back saying FTTC is available to me. They seem to have misunderstood my question. 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

The bit at the top the Engineer was referring to is a CBT, Connectorised Block Terminal. Bit like a Distribution Point but for Fibre.

As mentioned though that Joint on the pics above indicates it’s for the Spine Network, which is the Backhaul part that connects all the Aggregation Nodes to the Head End in the Exchange.

It may not be for WBC FTTP Services. You’re best off checking with the Local BDUK or contacting Openreach to see if they are bringing FTTP Services to you.