cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbrb2
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Field Connector Kit reliability?

I had FTTP installed last week. I had a LoS fault the next day, which I assumed was down to my removing the fibre from the modem and in doing so, presumably, damaging it. 

Openreach attended, reterminated the fibre in a few seconds, and all was fine - so I decided to leave the kit well alone and assumed it would keep working. 

Then at ~0900 this morning, when as far as I can tell nobody was in the house (only know time from chekcing my logs), I got another LoS....

Assuming this is another connector failure, how common are they...? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Starwire
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Field Connector Kit reliability?

They’re fiddly as duck to fit.

You can fit them perfectly but the Fibre can be very brittle and break easily if it’s not aligned correctly.

Openreach know it can be an issue and are going to issue out new Splicers soon that also make up Field Fit Connectors. Not seen one in action but apparently they’re the **bleep**.
0 Ratings
dbrb2
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Ah - interesting. The last guy did mention they had the kit to do a fusion splice, which would be more resilient, but this wasn't allowed in houses.

Fingers crossed for next visit!
0 Ratings
Starwire
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Blown Fibre (Legacy) still uses a CSP, Customer Splice Point but the who point of Connectorised was to do away with it.

Some Engineers were still using Legacy Fibre Lead In Cables with the premade connector and fitting a splice point of Connectorised Fibre but were told to stop doing it.
0 Ratings