cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tone1
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Finally an answer....not really the one I wanted!

I have been pursueing the reason(s) why my BT infinity 2 speeds decreased from 73-74 for about 2 years to 65-66m.

After loads of phone calls mostly offshore and even being told in an email that I am lucky to have the 65-66 speeds as my line is only capable of 59m.....

I spoke to sales because it was in the UK and they then put me through to Infinity level 2 technical which again was difficult to understand. He kept apologising for the "delays" whilst he did some "checks" and then finally came back with "his" answer.

"When you took out the 80/20 package, it was new to the area and you were one of the first to subscribe to it so you and a few others could enjoy these fast speeds, now with more and more customers taking up the infinity, so we can provide an equal service, we can now provide the 59m to you and everyone gets very good speeds" He then suggested that I speak with BT options and get my payments reduced "because you are not getting what you paid for"

That was a terrible answer......... move the stability level down, put too many customers into the cabinet and then finally advise to get payments lowered........

I wish a MOD or someone could look into this please?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Finally an answer....not really the one I wanted!

You can check the estimate for your connection here www.dslchecker.bt.com
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Highlighted
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Yes indeed he can.  So what ??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 7

So he can see what it is for his self.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Crosstalk is to blame. It effects everyone, not just you. Even adsl customers are effected but it is barely noticeable in most cases.

Not a lot bt, you or openreach can do at the moment. Just have to wait to see if they implement vectoring. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 7

OK so more customers have been conected to the same cab as you.This will result in "crosstalk" which will affect your cnnection speed, that is why the service is sold as "UpTo".

There is light on the horizon though, trials of vectoring are drawing to a close and the results are looking good.

Vectoring will drastically reduce the effect of crosstalk meaning speeds will rise again.

Now could you please explain why the severe loss of 8 mbps has caused to your life that you "are not getting what you paid for?"

0 Ratings
tone1
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thank you legitamise sailing --- yes I can use checkers and have done so.......

Thank you pippincp -- I was not aware that I  described this as a severe loss of 8mbps, and those words on my post are what the tech help level 2 told me. All I came on here for was to see if anyone or indeed an expert could give a more "laymans" explanation of what may have happened for the sudden speed drop. Please don't worry I can cope with the drop but (like a lot of people) when something happens its great to get an explanation as to why it happened. Not to be told, thats all your line can handle....

Thank you for the explanation about 'crosstalk' and 'vectoring' this does sound promising

0 Ratings