cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattarth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Fixed wireless bridge to village with fibre

I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping someone may know something about this. If so, please suggest anything.

I live it a pretty definite not-spot for broadband in a rural area. However the neighbouring village, 1.5 miles away, has BT FTTC. I'm an engineer, and I believe I can install a fixed wireless network between me and the village (this may rely on a friendly host for the antenna, but it should be doable).

My questions is: is it possible to somehow connect into the BT fibre network directly, without having a house, and hence phone line, in the village? My research has so far led me to believe I would need to set up my own ISP to buy wholesale broadband and sell it back to myself, but I think that's probably overkill!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Matt

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
mattarth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Fixed wireless bridge to village with fibre

*bump.

Anyone?

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 3 of 19

This should be in theory possible, but hence forth it will probably be a bit unreliable like Satelite based services.

You're going to need a bit of spare dosh to do this. But have you considered asking someone in the village to allow you to have an additional line in your name in their house, this would solve the getting connected to the FTTC network. And I would certainly go with a Business grade ISP, just because you'll likely get better contention and help should the service go funk.

This way you would then effectively have your own service, and you would be in control of it, and install all your antennae's and stuff. To be honest this sounds a very ambitious plan, but I hope you do well with it!
mattarth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Thanks astar27!

Using someone's house is an option I had considered, and I already know someone who lives in that village and may be willing to help if I can get a line of sight. However, I hadn't yet been able to answer the question of whether having a second line installed in someone's house would equate to a doubling of the bandwidth to their premises (i.e. is completely new copper installed?), or whether there would be some limit due to sharing of the wiring somewhere between the cabinet and the house? I'm glad to hear you think it's possible to pay for a second line in someone's home in my name, that way I can deal with the connection independently.

Concerning the dosh required, if I can make it work I'd ask my neighbours if they wanted to share the service, and hence the cost, and find a way to equitibly distribute the bandwidth between us. Also, the cost of a satellite broadband subscription makes this option seem reasonable when spread over a few years.

Concerning the reliability issue you mentioned, is that mainly due to weather conditions, or is there some other reason why the connection may be flaky at times?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 19

You wouldn't be able to, surely using someone elses connection would be considered as reselling as the way you wish to do it.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
mattarth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

ryant704, do you mean sharing my connection with my neighbours? It's a shame if that's not allowed under the T&Cs, but it shouldn't prevent me from getting a connection for myself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

A second line would give you another connection which would get full bandwidth as well
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 19

A line where it goes into that house, then it's then distributed to another area/house would be against the T&C's as this is redistributing. I don't even have to read the T&C to know this won't be allowed, If you do decide to do it I would be very careful.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 19

There is nothing in the T&C's which would preclude this. You would not be re-selling but sharing the costs as a "village co-operative".

It may well be in  your interests to actually form a co-op to arrange a business line and FTTC service into the property in the other village.

It's certainly doable. I know Alfa networks do long range antenna and I'm sure they aren't the only company.

0 Ratings
mattarth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Thanks pippincp. When you say form a co-op, is that an entity that's easy to create? I'm intrigued to find out whether there's something that would be more official than just a group of friendly neighbours.

ryant704, I would be very surprised to hear that simply extending the range of a legitimate home wifi network is against the T&Cs. If I was the bill payer/subscriber in the house that has the BT line, then I would think it is up to me how I use the broadband signal there. I could accept that reselling it might be against them though.
0 Ratings