cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

For an overhead FTTP supply, can a CSP be mounted inside the building - or is one necessary

There's a lot of information around about FTTP running through underground ducting but very little about overhead supply  to a customer - most of which is quite old in FTTx terms as cabling techniquues / practices / and materials is are constantly changing.

My FTTP can follow my existing copper cable and can roun through ducting in my fully boarded and lit loft space down to where my existing NTE5 is located.  Quick and easy, only gentle bends, no pull through needed, 10 minutes 'tops' to lay and route,  etc etc) 

I suppose my question really is  - for an overhead FTTP supply  -

•  what form does a CSP take, and where should be it sited?
  • Is an external CSP needed  - if so why?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: For an overhead FTTP supply, can a CSP be mounted inside the building - or is one necessary

@OldGoat I found this thread which might help answer some of the questions you've raised. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: For an overhead FTTP supply, can a CSP be mounted inside the building - or is one necessary

Thank you for taking the trouble for pointing me towards a potentially helpful thread.

Sadly, the detail showed that the thread offered was about an underground service - thus reasonable to assume a CSP at ground level or thereabouts.

Reading up on the subject, I've found no exaples, threads, photos or comments to enlighten me. Hopefully (as the technology is moving fast, there may be no need for a CSP - with the cable going direct to the NTE ??

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@OldGoat on post 4 of that thread it mentions that if its fed from overhead it will use an overhead CBT DP. I believe this means that no CSP or fibre splicing is required.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

As @NeilO states the overhead supply will be via CBT which doesn't use a CSP. It will be directly from the pole to the ONT.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thank you guys for your comments.

I have spent most of this late afternoon searching around  and ended up wity a YouTube video video saying as much as your comments. It's part of a long an inforamtive video on the whole subject and he conforms (mebe points out as it's several month's old...)  that  woth overheads tha a CSP is no longer required  with 'advanced' splicing techniques.

So I'm happy iuntil OR or Morrisons' come along with different reasons.

FWIW what really gets my Goat (sic) is that there's no information available from the BT organisation as to what is available to overhead customers. BT says that OH is the way to go (as appropriate) because it is less expensive - BUT  there is zilch info on how this is achieved.

Folks are rude about BT - quite often deserved, but make no real effort to explain to customers what is available and its processes to what today are minority requirement. Lorra anfo about new builds / lorra info about underground supply - but zilch about overhead supply.

I'm of a generation who were grateful for what they got but in 2019 can BT really get away for a 1940's attitude......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Has nothing to do with BT as Openreach are responsible for the logistics of supply and as you have found out have plenty of info on youtube.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I disagree with you in general -
It's easier to type 'BT' than 'Openreach' in a thread and searches produce more data than the latter term. By BT hiding contact with its subsidiary company (OR) from the 'customer' only adds to the public's opinion that "BT is rubbish" - which is unfair, but that's the way it is.
As to 'plenty of data on YT' yes, there is but only ONE that I have found showing and mentioning that there is (now) no need for a CSP when the cabling to the premises is overhead.

I appreciate the 'bind' that BT as a holding company are in - it doesn't want to be deluged with customer enquiries but it has fouled matters up by allowing OR to keep the resellers in the dark as well.
'We're" going back to the 1950's when the consumer was supposed to be grateful for whatever was available - but supposed to keep quiet if it was not.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Why are you blaming BT for what were basically orders from OFCOM that Openreach should be split off as a company in it's own right.

BT ordered to split legally from Openreach by Ofcom

OldGoat
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Seemples -

seemples - OpenReach is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT and in essence does what BT tells it to.

The service supply companies - including the customer arm of BT all have the same acccess to OR's system - but no further. Thus if there's a logjam / serious problem there is no way of a consumer getting a fix - except throuhg OR - to which he has no access; because that's the way the system was designed.   

0 Ratings