cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Free Upgrade to Full Fibre 100

Go to solution

Got an email from BT offering me a "free" upgrade to Full Fibre 100  Broadband.  No ide a what that means and I have been unable to contact a human being in BT to discuss the matter with as I have numerous questions.

1. There is apparently on offer a "guaranteed" download speed of 100Mbps -  which would be a considerable improvement on the 46Mbps that I currently get by on.   Can BT actually guarantee that?  If so, may I take it that actual download may be considerably higher than that froa reasonable proportion on online time.

2.  Would my current Home Hub 3 (Type A) and Openreach Modem (ModelEcholife HG612) need to be replaced?

3. Would any of the internal wiring installed by BT in my home have to be replaced?

4. Will my existing Anytime Calling Plan remain in situ at the current cost.

5. Would there be any compatibility issues with my existing software eg  OS is Windows 10 with all current updates;  Norton 360, MS Office etc

6. How long would the actual "switch over" to full fibre take-  one moember of my household currently works from home because of the Covid pandemic and I would not want Broadband to be unavailable for more than a couple of hours and preferably at weekend.

I know that Community members cannot give any assurances or make any commitments on behalf of BT but I am hoping to tap into the experiences some of you may have had of such a "free" upgrade that might be sufficient to set my mind at rest or conince me to leave well enough alone.!! 

Thanks in advance - and apologies for such a long message.

Gerry

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Free Upgrade to Full Fibre 100

Go to solution

@Gerry_Atrickwrote:

Got an email from BT offering me a "free" upgrade to Full Fibre 100  Broadband.  No ide a what that means and I have been unable to contact a human being in BT to discuss the matter with as I have numerous questions.

1. There is apparently on offer a "guaranteed" download speed of 100Mbps -  which would be a considerable improvement on the 46Mbps that I currently get by on.   Can BT actually guarantee that?  If so, may I take it that actual download may be considerably higher than that froa reasonable proportion on online time.

Yes

2.  Would my current Home Hub 3 (Type A) and Openreach Modem (ModelEcholife HG612) need to be replaced?

Yes

3. Would any of the internal wiring installed by BT in my home have to be replaced?

No

4. Will my existing Anytime Calling Plan remain in situ at the current cost.

Yes

5. Would there be any compatibility issues with my existing software eg  OS is Windows 10 with all current updates;  Norton 360, MS Office etc

No. How could it?

6. How long would the actual "switch over" to full fibre take-  one moember of my household currently works from home because of the Covid pandemic and I would not want Broadband to be unavailable for more than a couple of hours and preferably at weekend.

As long as it takes for the engineer to fit the ONT and supply the fibre.

I know that Community members cannot give any assurances or make any commitments on behalf of BT but I am hoping to tap into the experiences some of you may have had of such a "free" upgrade that might be sufficient to set my mind at rest or conince me to leave well enough alone.!! 

Thanks in advance - and apologies for such a long message.

Gerry

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Very many thanks for prompt response, and for your clear, concise answers. Much appreciated #pippincp.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi!

Can I ask an additional question similar to this.

I understand that a new Fibre box needs to be installed, I cannot find a picture or dimensions of the box anywhere!

Finally, on the above point, you say that no new wiring is required, is it just the white phone box that needs to be replaced then?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If you get the latest Nokia ONT installed it very small - only slightly larger than a Master Socket 5C box.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@AaronLwrote:

Hi!

Can I ask an additional question similar to this.

I understand that a new Fibre box needs to be installed, I cannot find a picture or dimensions of the box anywhere!

See image below, the power adaptor gives an idea of size.

Finally, on the above point, you say that no new wiring is required, is it just the white phone box that needs to be replaced then?

The OP was referring to internal wiring eg extentions etc. The ONT is usually placed where the fibre enters the premises.

Thanks!

fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

0 Ratings