cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 47

Re: Free "upgrade" has reduced my download speed?

AFAIK, it's a new contract...
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 12 of 47

Hi all, there's information on these speed boosts on bt.com: Questions about the BT speed boost

But relevant bits to this discussion are here (thanks @garybs29 for posting this information as well)

Does it mean I have to start a new contract?
The upgrade won't change your contract. You won't need any new equipment and you'll pay the same price as you do today for your broadband.

Do I need to pay anything?
The speed boost is at no extra cost to you. You don't need to pay for the upgrade. It's a gift from us to say thank you.

Going back to the original post, @elsouthward I'm sorry your speed has dropped.  It's entirely possible that the speed will recover on its own, if the change only happened a couple of days ago. But if you could please post your router stats, as @imjolly suggested, that'll give us a better idea on what's going on.

Thanks

Highlighted
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 47

It looks like it has resynced itself this morning, now even slower. My ping has returned to the usual ~15ms but this speed degredation is no good. Upload sync has now dropped quite a bit too.

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 47

down speed looks really low compared to dslchecker estimated range

is there any line noise?  dial 17070 otion 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your speed by eliminating master faceplate and also internal wiring  try this even if using filtered master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 47

I don't own a landline phone and haven't for over a decade so can't currently test for noise, though i can say i've never had a single connection issue prior to this package change so it's surely unlikely a physical line fault also devoloped at the exact same time?

The router is always connected to the master socket, I'll have to see if I can find a normal adsl filter to try the test socket as I have the filtered faceplate on mine.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 47

It can do. I had a line fault a while back, one minute the line was working perfectly, the next minute, the fault occurred. You need to get hold of a (ideally) corded phone to check, maybe a neighbour has one?
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 47

I just went through the automated fault checker which suggested there was a problem with the line and had me arrange an engineer to visit on tuesday. I'll post an update after they've been.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 47

you really need to get a cheap corded phone less than £10 as that is the first basic check for broadband - do you have a dial tone as broad band can still work without a dial tone but the speed will be low

In investment of about £10 can save you the engineer call out charge of £85 by ensuring the problem is outside your home as if engineer visits and finds the problem is in your home and your responsibility then you will be charged

I would certainly check for dial tone and use test socket before trying to get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 47

@elsouthward, you really need to carry out what @imjolly said. It feels like we're offering advice, but you aren't taking it.
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 47

Please don't feel as though I'm ignoring advice, I'm just not spending money or going knocking at random houses begging for a landline phone. I'll check later with some friends to see if they have one.

I've just tested at the test socket with a different filter and also tried using the BT hub with no improvement. Surely if there is an issue beyond that point, it is a matter for an engineer to fix and not on my end as I've ruled everything out?

0 Ratings