cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 47

Re: Free "upgrade" has reduced my download speed?

It may be that there has been 1 or more customers that have connected to the cabinet resulting in increased crosstalk that can reduce your line speed.
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 47

That may be the case, but I'm apprently quoted a guaranteed minumum speed of 55Mb so it would be nice to achive that as it's what I had prior to this package change I never asked for.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 47

Hmm, actually it's 60 Mb according to the checker. You definitely need another engineer. Did you manage to find a phone to see if the line's noisy?
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 47

The engineer did all the tests and confirmed there was no voice related fault on the line, dial tone was present etc. He also checked and re-seated the connections at the cabinet. The system wasn't letting him reset the DLM at the time but he said it was unlikely to help as I was already on the top profile. Hopefully this "boost" engineer will be able to make more progress.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 47

Ah, ok then it's unlikely that the boost engineer will be able to fix the problem (just seen your SNRM was 6 dB)... I'm surprised that the previous engineer didn't do a "pair swap", but maybe there weren't any better pairs. The problem is though, you're not connecting at the min. speed, so it's a bit concerning that the engineer couldn't improve it...

0 Ratings
GH1
Beginner
Message 36 of 47

Yes that will happen when you do an upgrade.  Test your down load speed three times a day after a week of doing this ring Bt and do a formal complaint explaining your problem. They know what speeds you are getting and if you say you are not happy they will help you. Did you get a email explaining your new speed with the upgrade.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 37 of 47

@GH1 wrote:

Yes that will happen when you do an upgrade.  Test your down load speed three times a day after a week of doing this ring Bt and do a formal complaint explaining your problem. They know what speeds you are getting and if you say you are not happy they will help you. Did you get a email explaining your new speed with the upgrade.

He doesn't need to do anything as the mods have taken up his case.

elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 47

Second engineer visted and no luck.

Turns out the cable between the cab and pole is aluminum, not copper. So despite being only 200m away this is the best speed the line can achieve. Obviously the BT DSL checker doesn't account for cheap materials.

Hopefully now I can just go back to the 55/10 package that  I was perfectly happy with.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 47

Ah, you're one of those unlucky users that have aluminium. But, you should be getting 60 Mb or above, so you have a right to complain still. Would you make use of the massive gain in upload speed you get on this package, though?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 40 of 47

@Techwizz wrote:

Ah, you're one of those unlucky users that have aluminium. But, you should be getting 60 Mb or above, so you have a right to complain still. Would you make use of the massive gain in upload speed you get on this package, though?

How do you figure that? The 60Mb or above only applies to range A lines. Having aluminium in the line would severely impact it.

0 Ratings