cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 47

Re: Free "upgrade" has reduced my download speed?

You're saying that having an aluminium line means you can't get range A speeds? Please give evidence, because I've not seen that anywhere. Material shouldn't make any difference to whether a line can get the handback threshold or not. The OP should be entitled to it whatever the circumstances.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 47

@Techwizz I have no problem explaining the laws of physics to you nor the difference of the conductivity between aluminiun, copper and the different frequencies of transmission when the 55Mb cap is lifted  from VDSL connections.

How long have you got to spare because I seriously don't mind, it only took me just over 5yrs.

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 47

I know that aluminium isn't as good as copper at transmitting DSL due to its conductivity, but I was asking why this should mean that the OP can't receive at least the handback threshold.
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 47

Just want to say that there was no solution or closure to this issue, I'm now stuck with 10% less speed than I originally had even after going back to the original 55/10 package.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 47

This is what I'm trying to get at, yes you may have an aluminium line, but you should get at least 60 Mb, so the engineer should work to get to that, even if it means replacing a section of aluminium with copper.
0 Ratings
elsouthward
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 47

It would be nice, but they flat out said that wasn't an option unless there was physical damage to the line, as it would disrupt many other's service. The last engineer pretty much just said "50 is a good speed and you should be happy with it, nothing we can do to improve it".

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 47

Hmm, then maybe BT should've not set such a high estimate. My estimate is awfully low for what my line can achieve, for some reason.
0 Ratings