cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Owenmeredith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 131 of 145

Re: Free speed upgrade for Infinity 1 customers Sept-Nov 2017

@xtotoy I was told the same, but alas it was not the truth. It appears that if you recontract then it makes you uneligable for the speed boost, as stated by the requirements posted above. 

0 Ratings
dj1891
Aspiring Expert
Message 132 of 145

They tried that with me too but it backfired on them. I was told I’ll get the speed boost by end of November, at the same time recontracted. In the mean time in landed the price change email, I phoned up to question why I was told I’d get a speed boost and it never happened and was told the above because recontracted. I then said about the price change email and I wanted to leave because of it so away I went.

They really are a sneaky devious bunch and will say and do anything to get you recontracted.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 133 of 145

It amazes me that Infinity 1 users are the ones now complaining, what about the Infinity 2 users who have received nothing?
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 134 of 145

I’m on infinity 1 got the free boost a couple of weeks ago speeds went from 55/10 to 60/20 which was fine, recontracted last week £29 a month for infinity 1 package for 12 months which I’m happy with, the live date was today woke up this morning noticed Hub 6 was rebooting and after checking been downgraded back down to 55/10 but not really that bothered as that is more than enough for what we use it for, a good price is more important personally for me!
xtotoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 135 of 145

the speed upgrade offer came from them, I always suspected it was not a real thing as per the BT official speed boost page. 

Might still call them to ask as is there in the record but I would assume Infinity 2 people will also be moved to faster things...

I was reluctant to sign for 18 months - I currently get good 51/9 speeds and the contract I got is £24.99 for 12 months - I will review this again soon enough

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 136 of 145

There is no boost for Infinity2.

If you are currently only getting 51/9 a speed boost would achieve nothing as you are lower than the Infinity1 top speed anyway.

0 Ratings
xtotoy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 137 of 145

@licquorice wrote:

If you are currently only getting 51/9 a speed boost would achieve nothing as you are lower than the Infinity1 top speed anyway.

From what I gather my modem gets 80/20 sync and the expected speed for my line would be 72/19 - as I said, happy with the deal, the 51/9 speeds for the next 12 months and counting...

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 138 of 145

@pippincp wrote:
It amazes me that Infinity 1 users are the ones now complaining, what about the Infinity 2 users who have received nothing?

I suppose the Infinity 1 customers are complaining more about the promises that haven't been fulfilled than any actual boost in speeds. My speeds were always very good for our household usage and still are even though I've dropped a couple of Mb downstream but gained the full upload speed (which ironically I have no use for anyway) since the so-called 'boost'. In hindsight BT would have been better leaving well alone instead of making people believe they were giving them something when quite clearly for the majority that is not the case. My concern is they will push everyone onto Infinity 2 pricing next time around because they'll say our lines can handle Infinity 2 speeds even though they aren't being provided in reality. I don't think this is going to end well for BT when that day undoubtedly comes.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 139 of 145

BT and all the ISPs would be better to tell customers and potential customers that prior to ordering broadband they need to use the Broadband estimate tool and that should they decide to order broadband they will receive the lowest speed that the estimate records. 

They should also be informed that they will be charged the same as everybody else regardless of what this speed is and if you are lucky enough to get above the lowest estimated speed you should look on it as a bonus and not a right.

Now back in the real world.

As long as there is an infrastructure mix of fibre and copper and only a two tier pricing system there will always be losers and winners. A fairer system would be a metered system where you pay for what you get and use.  Oh wait, we used to have something similar to that and everybody complained and wanted unlimited at a fixed price.

I guess there is no easy answer until all properties are on FTTP where it is more or less guaranteed that what you pay for is what you'll get.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 140 of 145

Things are changing. At present "up to" speeds are based on what 10% of providers customers can achieve. From May next year speeds must be based on 50% of users at peak times and put accross as an average.

See HERE

Also @gg30340  speed-checking facilities, for example those provided on internet service providers’ (ISPs’) websites, should be promoted in ads wherever possible.

0 Ratings