We have put together a short survey to capture your feedback in terms of what BT can do when you experience home Wi-Fi issues. We would appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete a short survey. Read more from here, Fix my home Wi-Fi
Over the past couple of years, my internet connection has grown a few issues:
- Connection drop out (2-5 times per day)
- Low speed spells (~6Mbps/4Mbps DL/UL)
- Large numbers of "late" packets as reported by https://packetlosstest.com
This has become increasingly noticeable with the COVID scenario which is why I'm only now doing something about it.
Technical details are below but, from my basic understanding, the line attenuation we have seems unusually high for a VDSL connection. I've heard this can be partially explained by internal house wiring if an NTE5 master socket is not used to isolate the DSL signal from the phone as soon as the cable enters the property.
Does this seem like a reasonable explanation? If not, what else should I be looking into as the route cause?
Is it worth calling BT to install one? And, since this is (potentially) hampering the connection, should I expect it to be free or charged?
Here is the information I have from the hub (S/N & WiFi removed):
Solved! Go to Solution.
Just thought I'd grab a screenshot of the Line Stats during an outage (didn't have to wait too long for another!). I'm not sure whether the readings are valid when this is happening but that signal attenuation has spiked massively
unless the master socket is faulty then changing it to a new style master with filter built in will not help your connection. have you tried using the test socket which is behind master faceplate with a new filter and see if that helps your stability. while in test socket try quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2 should be silent ( no hiss/crackle) and best done with corded phone
DLM has banded your line at 32.4M due to instability, until the cause of that is resolved and you have a stable line, nothing will improve.
Thanks for the reply. Based on that, I might try and get a different router/modem to test from Ebay. A software issue on that end sounds to me like the most plausible cause for the frequent drop outs. I've had similar issues in the past where I was able to trigger a drop out by starting a particular networked device so there are definitely some gremlins to be eliminated there.
I'll see how that works and maybe consider running an NTE5c with the isolating VSDL faceplate right next to the master LJU. The extensions can connect to that and it saves me doing a BT callout. That'll be if the router/modem doesn't resolve matters though
Did you try quiet line test? That is the most basic test for line dropping connection.
You can purchase an NTE5C from eBay and fit is yourself - it is simple just bit DIY
Yeah, there was nothing beyond what I would attribute to the handset (corded one powered by the line)
If you used a corded handset the line should be silent. There is nothing to attribute to the handset.
As in I was being very picky 😉 there was a tiny amount of background static: barely audible and nothing more than I would expect from the handsets amplifier.
Anyway, I ended up doing the thing and now have a NETGEAR R6260, Huawei HG612 & NTE5c socket! Both of the latter two provided improvements on the line stats (I watched & let them settle for a while after making the swap)
Now (through the Huawei interface), it's reading the following:
|Attainable rate (kbit/s)||53432||10941|
|SNR margin (dB)||22.3||0|
|Line attenuation (dB)||12.9||6.4|
I'll wait to see if the dropouts are eliminated but, either way, it looks like something positive came out of all of that