cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithw1
Message 1 of 9

Frequent Home Hub 5 Disconnections

For some weeks now I have been getting frequent disconnections and am getting sufficiently frustrated with the response of the call centre to be on the verge of switching to Virgin Media. On good day it will work fine all day, on a bad it will disconenct every 1-2 hours

I have run all the tests and everything comes back OK and while the line is up there are no problems and speed is good. The trouble is at periods varying between 2 and 24 hours the line is dropped (flashing lights on Home Hub 5) It reconnects fairly quickly but as I use the broadband for both TV watching and VOIP this s becoming a major issue.

A new master socket was installed by a BT engineer 2 years ago and the hub plugs straight into it

The last time I called the helpdesk they flatly told me nothing was wrong and if they called out an engineer I would get a bill for £149. Today it has been fine but In the previous 2 days the system disconnected as follows

10:58:49, 07 Aug (121442.840000) PPPoE is down after 208 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]
07:29:48, 07 Aug. (108901.850000) PPPoE is down after 217 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]
23:48:40, 06 Aug. (81236.710000) PPPoE is down after 188 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]
20:39:11, 06 Aug. (69867.810000) PPPoE is down after 947 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]
04:51:21, 06 Aug. (12997.690000) PPPoE is down after 214 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]

Each time the disconnection is preceded by this type of entry

12:04:28, 05 Aug. (295140.510000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Hub Data is

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ51208053
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 26/06/17
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 09:05:31
6. Data rate: 16823 / 63927
7. Maximum data rate: 16942 / 75420
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 21.2 / 16.2
10. Signal attenuation: 21.0 / 16.2
11. Data sent/received: 1.7 GB / 78.1 GB

Any help would be appreciated

Keith

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Frequent Home Hub 5 Disconnections

Have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your stability
Also try quite line test dial 17070 option 2should be quiet and best with corded phone corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
keithw1
Message 3 of 9

The  line is quiet.

The problem with using the test socket is that the frequency of disconnections is random and I really dont want to use the socket with the faceplate permanently disconnected. As I said in my post it was only fitted when I moved in 2 years ago and there are no other outlets attached to it anyway.

There were no disconnections on the 8th and 9th but there have been 3 today

12:35:26, 10 Aug. (386433.590000) PPPoE is down after 370 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]
12:35:22, 10 Aug. (386429.510000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

06:23:41, 10 Aug. (364128.770000) PPPoE is down after 149 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]
06:23:37, 10 Aug. (364124.710000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

03:52:43, 10 Aug. (355072.160000) PTM over DSL is down after 3893 minutes uptime
03:52:43, 10 Aug. (355072.150000) PPPoE is down after 3892 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

by using the test socket you also eliminate a problem with your faceplate - they do go faulty - but up to you  

only thing left is to get engineer visit by phoning 151 but should problem be on your side of test socket you may well be charged the call out fee of £129.99 which the helpdesk will advise you of before sending engineer  if no fault found or fault outside your home  then should be no charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
keithw1
Message 5 of 9

This is what I dislike about BT and why I will probably ditch them.

2 years ago I paid to get the BT line installed on a house  that was on Virgin, a BT engineer fitted it but now I am told that if a BT engineer comes out and cant find  the intermittent fault that can be proven to  exist it may cost me £149 .

The alternative is to switch to Virgin who will reconnect the Virgin box at no charge

An object lesson in how to lose customers without really trying.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@keithw1 wrote:

This is what I dislike about BT and why I will probably ditch them.

a BT engineer fitted it but now I am told that if a BT engineer comes out and cant find  the intermittent fault that can be proven to  exist it may cost me £149 .

not sure who told you that but my post certainly says if no fault found you will not get charged the £129.99 not £149

0 Ratings
keithw1
Message 7 of 9

The people who told me that were the call centre - getting it wrong seems to be part of the job description.

Let me explain this one last time.

2 years ago I bought this house, there was no active BT line as the previous owner had  a Virgin box. Now for the past several years I had been happy with BT and they told me yes that they could install a line for me if I paid the connection fee. A BT engineer came out and found where the old line came into the house. He then ran a cable from that line and fitted a new type 5C master socket which has 2 outlets, one for the broadband and one for the phone. The Broadband line goes directly to the Home Hub and the Phone outlet directly to my phone. That's it other than plug the phone and broadband line  in no changes have been made since then.

Now I understand about the split between Openreach and BT Internet but the bottom line is that I am getting charged £82.39 per month for a faulty service providing phone, TV and Infinity 2 and being told that if the fault can't be found by the engineer  its tough luck on my part and if its on my side of the master socket (the BT Home Hub) I'll get charged £129.99

Perhaps you understand why getting the Virgin option which is cheaper, has the same level of service and no upfront  fee looks more attractive every time the line drops.

0 Ratings
keithw1
Message 8 of 9

As a follow up I found a similar discussion on the community that may prove relevant
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/PPP-LCP-Send-Termination-Request-User-request/m-p/117...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I read your post the first time  just because you had a new master fitted 2 years ago does not mean it cannot be faulty now hence why connecting to test socket with a filter eliminates the master faceplate and if your problem persists then the cause is either your hub which is under warranty or external neither of which you will be charged the £129.99 for the callout

still up to you - move back to virgin or get engineer visit after trying test socket

0 Ratings