cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Frequent Re-Sync / Speed Drop

I have been having some issues today where my router keeps losing it’s broadband connection. It is resyncing, but at very low speeds. As low as 2Mbps, where the normal connection speed is 22Mbps. I have had similar issues several weeks ago. I resolved this previously by restarting my router, and it had a stable connection at about 22Mbps for 2-3 weeks. Can any advise me what steps I can take to resolve this issue? Or is it a temporary issue with BT that is likely to resolve itself? My connection is fibre to cabinet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Frequent Re-Sync / Speed Drop

Just to add, I have checked the BT Service checker, and there are no known issues in my area.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Router Stats:Router Stats page 1Router Stats page 1Router Stats page 2Router Stats page 2

Broadband checker results:

checker.png

I have tried the quiet lines test with a corded phone plugged directly into the master socket. There is a very very slight humming in the background, barely audible. I'm not sure if this would actually indicate a fault or not?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Which master socket do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

I have number six

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

then try connecting to test socket with a filter and see if that helps your connection

you need to remove the 2 screws then bottom section, then lift of middle section and then you can connect to the test socket with filter

test-socket-thumb.jpg

Message 8 of 10

I tried connecting via the master socket, and it did initially restore the connection speed back to where it is usually at. I then tried reconnecting the face plate and connecting again - the speed was back down to less than 2Mbps when connecting with the face plate back on the master socket. However, I then tried to connect via the test socket for a second time, and the speed remained below 2Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for the suggestions on this issue. I have spoken to BT support now, and they have found a possible fault on the line and are sending out an engineer. Funnily enough, I left the router powered down overnight and put it back on this morning and it connected at well over 20Mbps (which is the usual connection speed before this issue occurred) and has been stable for a few hours now. However, BT support agreed that due to the frequent disconnects over the past few days it still needed investigating.

Just out of curiosity, when I was testing using the test socket, I noted this green cable which appeared to be disconnected in the master socket. Does anyone have any idea what it is for and why it might be disconnected?

a.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Your incoming cable will have 2 twisted pairs but only one pair is used.