Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Frequent broadband disconnections

Go to solution

Hi everyone, hoping someone can give me some tips as to how to solve this. I have a Smart hub (6a) connected to an Openreach Mk4 socket. It has been very stable for months (since the new socket and hub were provided), but in the last couple of weeks it has been dropping out several times a day. I get the flashing orange ->orange ->blue light show and it reconnects. I reported a fault but all the people at the call centre want to know is how many wifi devices are connected. I have done a factory reset, several soft and hard restarts, none of them make the problem go away. The messages I can see in the event log always show this if I filter on PPP:

:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

Is this BT trying to do something to the router? Or could it be a router fault? Or do I need to lean on BT to get them to test the line properly (I've checked all over for damage to the cables in the house but can't see any).

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Frequent broadband disconnections

Go to solution

Remove the faceplate and connect directly to the test socket with a filter. Also try a quiet line test on 07171 option 2, any noise report a line fault don't mention broadband.

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

I already tried the quiet line test and got no noise. Mind you my phones are rubbish so it's hard to know for sure... would the noise be obvious? I'll do the test socket thing later today. 

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

the noise should be obvious - crackle/hiss

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Hi, I think the quiet line test is fine. I only have cordless phones and there always seems to be a bit of a background hiss, but it does not get any worse during the test at least!

I've swapped to the test socket and the connection has been stable so far - probably too soon to tell if it's permanent. But my download speed is now only half what it should be (approx 40mb vs the usual 76mb). I'll try it again on the BT test with an ethernet connection when I get a chance.

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

I ran the BT Wholesale test, and it reported that my IP profile was now 45.4Mbps... I've never known it be reduced before. How long does it take before that gets put back up to 80mbps again?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

can you post the stats from your hub please - advanced settings/technical log

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Sure, here you are: (NB still connected to the test socket, should I put the faceplate back on yet?)

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ64353844

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

29-Jul-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

1 Days, 1 Hours 53 Minutes 2 Seconds

Data rate:

15.00 Mbps / 49.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

32541 / 93052

Noise margin:

16.5 dB / 17.8 dB

Line attenuation:

10.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

5237 MB Uploaded / 15418 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-XCS7

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-XCS7-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

24:20:C7:4C:EF:35

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

If your line is now stable in the test socket then leave it there for now. If it remains stable then DLM should relent and increase your speed again.

Personally if it's not causing problems I would leave as is until the line's recovered and speed has settled.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

I would get a cheap corded phone and recheck the quite line test and if any line noise report a fault and get it fixed  until you can get a stable conenction your speed will not improve  if it has been dropping connection as often as you said and in addition you have been resetting then it could take a while for speed to recover