cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Frequent disconnections after major area outage last week

Hey everyone. Looking for some ideas/help here. I'll try to be short. Last week (Tuesday 27th) there was a service outage in my area (Kirby Cross). When I phoned BT I got an automated fault announcement saying there was a major problem and it'd be fixed in 26 hours. At this point the Smart Hub was flashing purple for a full day with no internet.

The following day it came back on but kept going to solid orange, and then back to blue. Perhaps once every few hours. Over the course of the week it's steadily gotten worse. I'm now getting them every few minutes. BT say my connection is holding from their end, and they're only seeing a handful of disconnections (where I'm experiencing several per hour). I've done all the usual stuff; factory reset, test socket, etc.

Now where things get a bit complicated is that I was on the phone for two hours yesterday trying to get an engineer appointment. I was then told they couldn't book one (for some reason) and that I'd have to renew my contract for a fresh 18 months to get a new hub.

I was then put onto sales who seemed kinda confused, and they then put me onto a technician who was even more confused, cancelled the order for a hub and replaced it with a microfilter. Since then I've tried a new microfilter into the test socket with no change, and been on the phone for another hour+ today. Gone through all the line tests, refreshes, etc. with no luck. And now have to wait until Wednesday to get a new router. If that doesn't work, then perhaps I'll get an engineer? But I'm being told if it's a fault on my end I'll be liable for a £129 callout fee.

Now I can't imagine it's a fault on my end seeing how this started at the exact same time as an area wide outage. So...my question is, are there any last things I should check for? So that if I get the new hub and I've still got problems I can call for an engineer without fear of a hefty bill.

So much for this being short. Thank in advance for any help.

- Paul

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Frequent disconnections after major area outage last week

If you are still in contract with BT your should get a free replacement hub if it is faulty. You should only need to renew your contract if you are out of contract and want a new hub.

If you have connected to the test socket on the master socket and you have checked that any telephone extensions you have have no dial tone when you are connected in that way  and the disconnect problem is still there it will not be a problem with your wiring.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 8

@chimp_spannerwrote:

Hey everyone. Looking for some ideas/help here. I'll try to be short. Last week (Tuesday 27th) there was a service outage in my area (Kirby Cross). When I phoned BT I got an automated fault announcement saying there was a major problem and it'd be fixed in 26 hours. At this point the Smart Hub was flashing purple for a full day with no internet.

The following day it came back on but kept going to solid orange, and then back to blue. Perhaps once every few hours. Over the course of the week it's steadily gotten worse. I'm now getting them every few minutes. BT say my connection is holding from their end, and they're only seeing a handful of disconnections (where I'm experiencing several per hour). I've done all the usual stuff; factory reset, test socket, etc.

Now where things get a bit complicated is that I was on the phone for two hours yesterday trying to get an engineer appointment. I was then told they couldn't book one (for some reason) and that I'd have to renew my contract for a fresh 18 months to get a new hub.

I was then put onto sales who seemed kinda confused, and they then put me onto a technician who was even more confused, cancelled the order for a hub and replaced it with a microfilter. Since then I've tried a new microfilter into the test socket with no change, and been on the phone for another hour+ today. Gone through all the line tests, refreshes, etc. with no luck. And now have to wait until Wednesday to get a new router. If that doesn't work, then perhaps I'll get an engineer? But I'm being told if it's a fault on my end I'll be liable for a £129 callout fee.

Now I can't imagine it's a fault on my end seeing how this started at the exact same time as an area wide outage. So...my question is, are there any last things I should check for? So that if I get the new hub and I've still got problems I can call for an engineer without fear of a hefty bill.

So much for this being short. Thank in advance for any help.

- Paul

hi there @chimp_spanner

Just wanted to focus on the bit I have made bold about your Hub, have you got a replacement coming? 

With regards to the test socket, have you connected a phone (pref corded) and checked for any noise (you dial 17070 and select option 2, it should be silent) ?

If that's been done, along with you remaining in the test socket where possible, then short of you having a new Hub, the engineer is next up and they should not be charging you anything. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Yup, exactly. The engineer I spoke to was really perplexed as to why I was effectively forced to take up a new contract to get what SHOULD be part of my existing contract (I should've been good up to about September or so). The only thing I haven't managed to check yet is the actual phone line as our handset has been out of action for months and neither of us here really use a telephone. It's all internet. I'll try and get a hold of one that works and see if the line is noisy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi CJT80. So, I have a replacement coming now after spending another two hours on the phone yesterday. The engineer I spoke to after sales basically said it couldn't be the router and so swapped the router for a microfilter instead (which meant I'd done a new contract for nothing). The next time I phoned, they then had to cancel the microfilter as only one order could be open at a time and send out a new router which arrives on Wednesday, but I'm being asked to send the old one back for recycling...when really all I'm getting is the router I should get as a "new" customer.

I should also add I'm in contact with several people in my immediate area who are either on BT or ISP's that use BT lines (like Sky) who have had the exact same problem for the past 1-2 weeks. And yet BT are still telling me there's no problem from their end.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Don't belive what BT are saying we have the same issue here in the Ealing area our fibre internet came down last March 24. Contacted their customer service via chat and phone call a couple of times and was told that it's part of a major outage in our area and they are trying to resolve it. They've given us expected completion date six times now but every time that date comes nothing happens and the expected completion date extends for another day. This is not the kind of service we expect considering the amount of money we paid them in advance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

alexmhay - yeah I can actually see the fault in your area on their site. At least it's acknowledged. When I put my number in everything comes up as fine (well, there's an individual case open for me still). I'm really at a loss here. Can't do anything until Wednesday when the new router arrives.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

chimp_spanner - I've just received a reply from the new post I've made regarding our issue saying "PCP 3 in Ealing was hit by a car on 24th March. Reshell has been completed now awaiting power co to reconnect power supply. Estimated 6/4." What I was wondering is the service in other flats within our area has been restored already last Friday. So if it's an issue affecting the Ealing area then why are some residence have their internet restored and some are not? Well guess we still have to wait until friday again and see if our issue will be resolved. Hope your issue will be resolved as well once you received the new router.

0 Ratings