cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Frequent drop outs and compensation claim

Go to solution

Good morning everyone,

I have recently moved home with BT and I have now got my service set up thanks to an incredibly helpful person in the Blackburn call centre.

I had two main questions to post; firstly, my service connection was delayed from May 6th to May 20th. Will I receive compensation automatically and if so, how will I know this is being progressed? I haven't received any contact from BT yet regarding the delayed activation and compensation.

The second point was regarding service dropouts. I have waited for two weeks as advised on activation for the connection and speeds to stabilise. I am currently having a strong connection, however, several times each day, the service disappears entirely for between 2 and 5 minutes with the Hub lighting up orange.

Is there any home rectification that can be done to solve this or is it something that will need looking into by an OpenReach engineer as it is 'gremlins' in the system/wiring?

Thanks for any help provided.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Frequent drop outs and compensation claim

Go to solution

do you have FTTP or FTTC?  if the latter then check your phone has a dial tone and then dial 17070 option 2 it should be silent with no noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response. I am unsure as to which is present at the property but I have tried the quiet line test and little to no sound is present (possibly a very faint crackle)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

if you have FTTC you are using the master phone socket and therefore nay noise is a problem - the quiet line test should be silent apart from announcement  if you try again with corded phone and still hear noise/crackle then report phone fault NOT broadband to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

If you have the new NTE 5C, then that can cause random disconnections due to poor contact between the front and back sections. That may explain the long disconnects.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Is there anyway to rectify this issue and is it a known issue across BT's network? It happens at random times throughout the day which can be problematic with meetings when WFH.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@MrH20 wrote:

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Is there anyway to rectify this issue and is it a known issue across BT's network? It happens at random times throughout the day which can be problematic with meetings when WFH.

As mentioned https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/2019-Master-Socket-kit-loose/m-p/1985566#M6775

Its an Openreach socket, and would affect all providers that use it, not just BT Retail.

You need to connect things up as shown below, and see if you still get disconnections. Leave it like that for a few days.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1622719216861.jpeg

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Intermittent Internet Drop Out problems (continuing)

Go to solution

Hi all,

I have moved property approximately 3 months ago and I am still having problems with internet.

Upon moving, BT failed to install my internet on the agreed date and installed it almost 4 weeks late but they kept their word and paid me compensation and provided me with internet via my EE mobile line for this issue.

The purpose of this post is to get to the bottom of why I am having issues with internet constantly dropping in and out with the Hub moving through a cycle of purple and orange lights two or three times a day. The problem is particularly frustrating after the delay with setting up the installation and the fact I am currently working from home.

I have checked the hub in the test socket and had the filter replaced on the front to no avail; I still experience the drop-outs. The drop-outs show no pattern, for example today it was 2:45PM and 4:20PM (twice in 5 mins) but Monday had no drop-outs and Sunday was 8AM and 11PM. Can anyone help offer some advice or guidance on the issue?

If this can't be rectified, I will be requesting to be released from my contract as the quality of the service I am currently receiving is not reflected by the cost of the service.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Re: Intermittent Internet Drop Out problems (continuing)

Go to solution

Hi @MrH20 ,

I've moved your post so we have all the details on the same thread. Have you reported the line noise you mentioned previously? Random drops and hub lights changing are symptoms of a line issue so it's best to report a noisy line problem to begin with.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Re: Intermittent Internet Drop Out problems (continuing)

Go to solution

Hi David,

I have checked the line recently when having the issues and there was no apparent line noise present so I am unsure what is causing the issue.

What would you suggest is the best approach to get someone to have a look into the issue as I am at a loss? I have spoken to BT several times during and post installation but it has not given me any resolution.

Would it be best to reach out to get a BT engineer to look into the issue as I have checked all the in property features and have not located the problem?

0 Ratings