cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Fttp OTP connection

Go to solution

Good afternoon,

I have fttp fitted to an Nokia OTP at the back of the house in a bedroom and I want to locate the router to a more central location. The building has ethernet cable installed so I thought I could attach the OTP connection into the RJ45 wall socket in the bedroom and plug into the WAN socket on the router where the ethernet cable ends. But the EE smart hub doesn't connect.

This method works if I connect the smart hub local to the OTP and then take a LAN cable to the wall socket, but that means I need the router in the bedroom........any clues what is wrong ?

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Fttp OTP connection

Go to solution

Where is the EE Smart hub for each location of the SH2? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, I am not sure I understand sh2?

The want to put the smart hub in a cupboard where the network cables from the house all terminate.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

I assume you are not a BT Broadband customer, but rather an EE customer, the SH2 is the BT hub.

EE have their own forum, you need to post there. https://community.ee.co.uk/

It sounds as though you may have some iffy Ethernet cabling.

Its ONT by the way, not OTP.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Ah many thanks....

Yes ont, my mistake, thankyou.

As it's a BTont into a EE smart hub, which are basically the same router as the BT one I believe.

It's strange if it's the cabling I can get over 100 mb/s over the lan connection, but perhaps the router is more succespitble to noise at the WAN input?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

There's no such thing as a BT ONT, ONTs belong to Openreach not BT.

Are you sure the sockets are fully wired? 100M Ethernet only requires 4 wires, Gigabit Ethernet requires all 8.

Best posting on the EE forum as there may be some subtle differences between the hubs.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Ok mr licorice, will do.

Openreach are BT, although trading as separate business unit, not that it really meters to my question.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

B&Q and Screwfix are both owned by Kingfisher, but you wouldn't ask Screwfix about a problem with B&Q though would you?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

As it's going into an EE router, which is basically the same as a BT one then I think it's entirely reasonable and relevant and not at all as per your Screwfix and band q example........sorry to have waisted your time.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
When you say "the building has ethernet cable installed" that suggests that there are multiple outlets in different rooms. If so that would mean that there was an Ethernet hub some where in the setup. That hub probably does not support 1Gb Ethernet which is required to connect the hub to the ONT.
0 Ratings