cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Fttp Pipe Gushing Water

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I have FTTP and pipe had to be laid to get this but there is water coming through the pipe when it rains. And with the weather we’ve had recently it had absolutely been gushing out. Spoke to BT who sent me to open reach who then sent me to the NI Water (I’m in Northern Ireland). I’m waiting on someone from NI water to come out and look at it. I don’t want to touch it incase of come back if there ever was anything wrong and I had done something to the equipment. But the water is leaving a stain on the wall and dirty water on the ground which I’m unhappy about..... any advice?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fttp Pipe Gushing Water

Go to solution

Using a term like pipe and water has probably confused the issue, if Openreach ( or is it BT in Northern Ireland ?) have installed a duct to the wall of your property and when it rains, the joint box the duct runs from fills up with rain water , and the water escapes along the duct and up against your wall then a duct seal may need to be provided....presumably your house is at a lower level than the box that fills with water for this to even be an issue.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I contacted BT first as they are my bband provider. They passed me on to Openreach and openreach have passed me to NI Water - don’t really see what this has to do with them because they didn’t install the duct. Yes the house is at a lower level to the road where the duct goes down. I don’t want to touch it incase it causes a problem in future. Should openreach be doing this? I know it’s a minor problem but it’s not minor to me I have dirty water laying on the ground. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Yes , if it’s Openreach duct , then OR will fix it.
Probably no point going via BT as it’s not ‘BT’ service problem, you can contact OR directly when it comes to some issues , your problem may not be a specific item on the OR website , but it is a damage to my property complaint , try
https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @frostynutella ,

Sorry this will not help you solve the problem.  BT duct is often used in my village to drain surface water.  In some case it is also used for sewage.  The water company showed more interest with the former but the latter had to be solved by the how owner.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @pompey1898,

Still awaiting NI Water engineer to come, should be here today. Hopefully I should get some answers... seems to only happens when it rains. But will wait until I get the response and I’ll update the post.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @pompey1898,

NI Water just been and gone pretty much said it’s not their problem and that because Openreach laid the ducts they would have to seal it. They tested the water said it’s surface water not mains water coming through. So back to openreach I go lol. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Work has now been completed by Openreach. They came out and assessed the situation and got the manhole drained. A few days later sealed both parts of the ducts to ensure no more water gushing out. Although no rain has fallen since this was completed I’m hoping this is a final fix. Thank you guys for your input! Much appreciated 👍🏻

0 Ratings