cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Fttp install question

Go to solution

Hi there

I currently have BT FTTC and am considering upgrading to FTTP. 

I was wondering how/where the fibre will be run during the installation. The existing copper comes from a duct situated on the edge of the front garden next to the pavement. The copper then runs externally along the boundary wall and enters by the front door. 

I would like the fibre to enter the property from the other side of the house, would this be possible or would it take the same path as the copper? Also the front garden has crazy paving, will this be dug up?

PS The chamber is just outside my house  

Thanks in advance

rk165

DuctDuctWallWallFront doorFront door

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fttp install question

Go to solution

Speak to the installer when he/she arrives. If it is possible they will try to route it they way you want but if not possible they will explain why and what they are going to do. 

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

The cable will probably follow the path of the existing copper i.e. along the wall to the house. Once it has reached the house it does not have to follow the copper path - so it could enter the house at a different point to the copper.

Give some thought to what you would like. Once the cable is inside the house it is connected to the modem (ONT in the trade) .This need a power supply/ It is only a wee box - 10cm *10cm and 2cm deep.

That connects to your Hub via ethernet. The Hub and ONT can be in different rooms (ethernet cable permitting).

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be possible to install a new duct and run the fibre through that and bypass the existing duct, is this an option that Openreach would consider, or is this dependant on the day of install?

thanks

rk165

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

You'll have to wait until day of install.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

If the existing duct is serviceable then it will be used , it would be at your expense if there is nothing wrong with the existing duct , and simply a preference of yours to provide a new duct to a different location on the property ( and that wouldn’t be cheap ) and obviously would delay the install….as already said , it’s possible that one at the property a different cable route could be taken if the room the ONT is required in , is accessible from an external wall and running the new optical cable externally rather than internally is the best option, but I dare say in some instances there are limiting factors ( including the amount of time the installer can devote to a single install ) so there is a reasonable chance that following the existing copper cable route will be the most appropriate.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

See message 2. The installer will be the only person that can tell you what will happen and why. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

No, they won’t go to the expense of Digging Up your Property and Public Land to fit a new Duct.

All in the cost of a Dig/Duct that on average of 20m will cost is excess of £1,500.

They will use the existing Duct or nothing at all.

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @rk165 and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about the FTTP install. I see you've had a lot of great advice here and hope we've answered your questions. Let us know how things go.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi 

Thanks for all the replies, this was exactly the information I was looking for. 

regards

rk165