Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Swagatamb
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Fttp previous tenant not cancelled

Moving house at the end of this month but it seems there is a big problem which I have been made aware of just now. I called bT to switch my connection over and it seems that the new house has a fibre to the home one port connection. And the service is still active as the previous customer hasn't cancelled it.

It means that I cannot switch over my service or even get a fibre broadband connection there until and unless the previous customer gives them the go ahead to stop the services in his name, even any other company wouldn't be able to provide it. This is really a problem because i need that to be functioning when i move in. If it's in the landlord's name, there shouldn't be a problem as if he informs them to allow the switchover, it can be done easily. However, if it's in the previous tenant's name, we will have to contact them and request them to release it as soon as possible. 

I have contacted the estate agents today but what I am really worried about is what happens if the previous customer refuses to cancel it!

More so because i actually checked the broadband availability checker and spoke to a move team about the availability before going for the house viewing and putting in my deposits.

Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fttp previous tenant not cancelled

You should be able to do an active line takeover where BT will notify the existing customer that you want to rake over the line and if they don't respond within 10/14days then take over will happen. Just means you won't get broadband right away as you want

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Swagatamb
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Oh! I have still got 3 weeks till my move date. The lady on the phone told me that there is no way legally to do anything if the previous person doesn't cancel! I can even wait 5 to 7 days after i move in as long as i get the connection at the end! Thank you for your reply.

0 Ratings
Swagatamb
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Sorry for the disturbance but what happens if they refuse to cancel? Can they do that legally?
Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

If they don't cancel then they will continue to pay the monthly package which would be unlikely as you will be able yo use the connection

phone 08005874787 and see if they can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings