Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simpleton1
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Fttp

Hi

I currently moved in to a new build 3 years ago with ADSL broadband currently there are no signs of having fiber installed (even though we live in the middle of a fiber enabled estate) what and how are the chances of having fttp installed or just plane fiber and paying for it I am struggling with 4mbs and work from home I don't mind self funding but just need to know how to get things started and the cost

Thanks
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fttp

Welcome to this user forum.

Its Openreach not BT Retail that provide the network, so you would be best asking them.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

Who provides your ADSL connection?

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

What’s Plane Fibre, an aeroplane made out of Fibre?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@Simpleton1

In order to find out what services and speed range you could be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Gnomie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

With either fibre to cabinet or fibre to premises I am afraid you are in the lap of the gods called openreach.

if you are in a fibre to cabinet enabled area, look for a green cabinet that has a fibre sticker on it. The closest to you.

call the openreach fibre helpline (number already in thread) and talk to them about it.

with fibre to cabinet, as I understand, it’s the same as Adsl to the cabinet and fibre from there. Since Adsl speed is proportional to distance from the exchange a closer link to fibre optics improves speed.

i am lucky enough to be in a fibre enabled area but too far from a cabinet. As such the scope of development by openreach was overhead fibre. I have a box outside my front door.

that box was there 3 years before I could get connected. I had addressing issues which meant the online checker failed to detect it.

since you are a new estate, you may be suffering the same issues. Out of date databases.

call them. Give them as much detail as possible. Do what I did. Find an address really close that is fibre enabled and have them backtrack from there.

14 days after my enquiry I got fttp. 300meg down. 60 up. Around 50 pounds a month.

if you don’t succeed on your first call, hang up. Find a rep that knows their beans and they will resolve your problem. Just like what I did.

4 reps couldn’t order a connection. The 5th liaised with the fibre help team to figure it out. Boom. Fibre that’s good for 900 meg when bt wish to release it as that’s what my line is capable of.

hope that helps. Don’t give up. Help them to help you!

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 10

@Gnomie wrote:

With either fibre to cabinet or fibre to premises I am afraid you are in the lap of the gods called openreach.

if you are in a fibre to cabinet enabled area, look for a green cabinet that has a fibre sticker on it. The closest to you.

call the openreach fibre helpline (number already in thread) and talk to them about it.

with fibre to cabinet, as I understand, it’s the same as Adsl to the cabinet and fibre from there. Since Adsl speed is proportional to distance from the exchange a closer link to fibre optics improves speed.

i am lucky enough to be in a fibre enabled area but too far from a cabinet. As such the scope of development by openreach was overhead fibre. I have a box outside my front door.

that box was there 3 years before I could get connected. I had addressing issues which meant the online checker failed to detect it.

since you are a new estate, you may be suffering the same issues. Out of date databases.

call them. Give them as much detail as possible. Do what I did. Find an address really close that is fibre enabled and have them backtrack from there.

14 days after my enquiry I got fttp. 300meg down. 60 up. Around 50 pounds a month.

if you don’t succeed on your first call, hang up. Find a rep that knows their beans and they will resolve your problem. Just like what I did.

4 reps couldn’t order a connection. The 5th liaised with the fibre help team to figure it out. Boom. Fibre that’s good for 900 meg when bt wish to release it as that’s what my line is capable of.

hope that helps. Don’t give up. Help them to help you!

There no such thing as ADSL to the cabinet, it's ADSL all the way to the premises. FTTC is fibre to the cabinet then copper to the premises.

As the OP is in a new build the best one to ask is the developer, they will have arranged for whatever services are available with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Gnomie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

So let me get this right.

fttc which is twisted pair copper to a fibre enable cabinet has no resemblance to Adsl.

just because you got a previous post wrong, please don’t come troll my personal advice which is aimed at a layperson.

Not exactly living up to your title and kudos rating here 😉

0 Ratings
Gnomie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I guess for clarity I should try to help you understand.

There is a closer parity of comparing fibre to cabinet as Adsl to cabinet based on the fact that fibre to cabinet used copper pair technology to the final destination. That is to say the end users home.

Though you may be correct in your comment there is no such type of technology this was an attempt to explain at a simplistic level the difference between fibre to cabinet and fibre to premises the latter where fibre terminates in the users premises.

Odd as it is, the very same username and password is used in the authentication field on what it’s effectively a cable modem Ethernet router as on a adsl modem.

So I find it odd that a person of such standing within a community feels it necessary to troll a post in such fashion based on nothing but terminology.

With no help offered to the original poster either.

I am well aware of the technology of the internet and 99% of the connectivity options. Hell I started in dial up and had the 5th adsl connection that went live in the UK. That’s right the 5th. That was a long time ago.

So back to the OP because that’s what he posted for in the first place, not some trumped up competitive kudos hunting reply;

Go out research the local area and addresses. Get in touch with Bt and the fibre help desk and see if you can get this resolved.

After all if you have adsl to exchange I don’t see much reason why you can’t get a twisted copper pair to a fibre enabled cabinet (not by adsl you understand because that’s incorrect terminology according to the above self righteous guru)

Best of luck. Persistence is key mate. 3 years for me!
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Gnomie wrote:
I guess for clarity I should try to help you understand.

There is a closer parity of comparing fibre to cabinet as Adsl to cabinet based on the fact that fibre to cabinet used copper pair technology to the final destination. That is to say the end users home.

Though you may be correct in your comment there is no such type of technology this was an attempt to explain at a simplistic level the difference between fibre to cabinet and fibre to premises the latter where fibre terminates in the users premises.

Odd as it is, the very same username and password is used in the authentication field on what it’s effectively a cable modem Ethernet router as on a adsl modem.

So I find it odd that a person of such standing within a community feels it necessary to troll a post in such fashion based on nothing but terminology.

With no help offered to the original poster either.

I am well aware of the technology of the internet and 99% of the connectivity options. Hell I started in dial up and had the 5th adsl connection that went live in the UK. That’s right the 5th. That was a long time ago.

So back to the OP because that’s what he posted for in the first place, not some trumped up competitive kudos hunting reply;

Go out research the local area and addresses. Get in touch with Bt and the fibre help desk and see if you can get this resolved.

After all if you have adsl to exchange I don’t see much reason why you can’t get a twisted copper pair to a fibre enabled cabinet (not by adsl you understand because that’s incorrect terminology according to the above self righteous guru)

Best of luck. Persistence is key mate. 3 years for me!

The simplistic difference between FTTC & FTTP is one is copper connection from the cab, the other is pure fibre all the way from the exchange. Can't get simpler than that.

Advice was offered to the OP  but obviously you didn't bother to read the last sentence of my post or perhaps you don't know any of the procedure for new builds.

As regards Kudos, I've never cared about it.

I don't intend entering into any further debate with you as this is not your thread and it would be unfair on the OP.

0 Ratings
Gnomie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Well done you!

still wrong twice in my book.

*Edited by Mod*

0 Ratings