cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Fttp

Hi guys. I've recently moved into a new build flat and I've been told I can get fttp, I've been here 2 months and last week I got my broadband kit with the ultrafast fibre plus package. Download speeds of 150 upload 30 I think it is with a download guarantee of 100. Great speeds and it's better than I've had ever before and it's always testing at near 153/40.

Ideally I want the ultrafast fiber 2 package with 300/50 but although I have fttp my line can't handle those speeds which I find very strange.

Has anyone else encountered this? 

Thanks

Chris 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fttp

It would not be your line itself that is restricting the available options, as optical fibre has virtually unlimited bandwidth.

Its going to be an aggregation node issue, where all the connections come together in the exchange over a single fibre. The bandwidth available at that point has to be shared between all users, so there has to be a limit for each user.

That aggregation point would be where the connection is made to the core BT 21cn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_21CN SDH network.

Also your connection would be connected to an optical splitter which will have many other users connected to it, and that would also place some restrictions.

Why would you want a faster connection? I have a 10Mb ADSL connection, and it does everything I need?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. 

All that info is perfect thanks. I only want faster as for many years I've had sub par Internet that's done the job but not been particularly fast, I wanted to make the most of fttp whilst I could. The speeds I've got are great and are working well with my streaming TV shows, online gaming, streaming to twitch etc it's handling everything very well.. 

Not tried any downloads yet so not sure how long it would take to install a full game but the speeds do seem impressive, even if they are slower than virgin which I could get £20 cheaper. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 7

Give the FTTP team a ring on 0800 587 4787. Let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Are you sure you have FTTP and not G.Fast.

With FTTP you can get up to 1Gbps speeds from Openreach (unless you’re on an ECI Head End) but even then you can still get the 330/50 package. Do you have an ONT in your flat that your Router plugs into via an Ethernet Cable or does your Router plug into the phone Socket?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi thanks for replying.

Yes I thought I'd be able to get the 330/50 package too due to the website telling me I can but apparently that's an error.

I've got an ont thing I'm my flat yes, the router is plugged into it with a red ethernet cable.

When I put my postcode into open reach it tells me its fttp and bt keep putting me through to the fttp team but I'm convinced I should still be able to get the top package even though they say my line can't support that speed, the max speeds my line can handle is what I'm on now 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 7 of 7

Ring the number I've given you. If they say you can't ask   why and come back   here.

0 Ratings